• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gradable/Not Gradiable Issue

1 post in this topic

Help!

Current Lincoln wheat cent at NGC for grading.  It has, apparently, been confirmed to be a 1909 S VDB, as I had identified it, however grading was not continued for the reason "NOT SUITABLE FOR CERTIFICATION".  I acknowledge that the coin does have a VERY weak "VDB" on the reverse, but that issue does not change the fact that it is a true 1909 S VDB.  I do not have a picture and, as stated, it is currently in NGC's possession - it is listed as coin #5 on invoice #4708629.  

My question is this: since it is confirmed to be a 1909 S VDB, and there are no other reasons for it not to be graded (it's likely a G8 to VG10), why wouldn't it simply be slabbed as "GENUINE" with appropriate grade DETAILS and possibly a notation of "Weak VDB"?  Knowing that the coin had a weak "VDB", I asked if this would be an issue BEFORE sending it to NGC for grading, and was assured that if it was a genuine 1909 S VDB it would be graded as such... either it is or it is not, and clearly it is.  I don't mind the qualification on the label, but I do mind wasting over a month waiting, plus money.

Thank you.

image.png