• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Birthday Coins

20 posts in this topic

I buy at least one coin a year. That's on my birthday. Good excuse right?  ;)

Does anyone one else?

This is my birthday coin:

RCNH%201935%20ARK%20NGCMS%2066%20Combo%2

Fresh skin, old brown label/CAC.

Please post yours.

61 years young today.

3 hours ago, leeg said:

I buy at least one coin a year. That's on my birthday. Good excuse right?  ;)

Does anyone one else?

This is my birthday coin:

RCNH%201935%20ARK%20NGCMS%2066%20Combo%2

Fresh skin, old brown label/CAC.

Please post yours.

61 years young today.

That's a beauty Lee.  Happy Birthday.:banana::banana:(thumbsu

9 hours ago, numisport said:

Nice original toning. Album or card tone ? How were these presented ?

My best guess would be album.

The first 200 coins came in a coin holder with a certification card that had the coin number on it.

Here is some more info from the Arkansas chapter of my book:

Designed by Edward Everett Burr and modeled by Miss Emily Bates. Distributed by the Arkansas Honorary Centennial Celebration Commission (later known as Arkansas Centennial Commission), A.W. Parke, executive secretary.  Medallic Art Company made the Dies.

Authorized by Congress on May 14, 1934 and issued to commemorate the one hundredth anniversary of the admission of the State of Arkansas into the Union.

SUSCC%20CT_Fall_1989-Pg6B.jpg

I hope President Mercer doesn’t mind sharing his space with this photograph of a 1937 Arkansas’ black box holder, complete with mailing box, insert and cotton batting. Courtesy SUSCC, Fall 1989, p. 6.

There were several more ways these were distributed. I don't want to make this a novel though. Thanks for the question.

15 hours ago, Porous Planchet said:

That's a nice tradition, I may have to start doing that too. 

The toning accents the design very nicely. 

Happy Birthday, Lee!

Kaz in Richmond

Thanks Kaz.

This year on my 61st birthday I think I bought a couple early proof Washingtons. I compared the card toning to some others such as this '86 Eagle I bought cheap on a card and sent it in myself. Maybe I should have left it on the card.

9_13_2015_6_20_49_PM.jpg

9_13_2015_6_21_22_PM.jpg

9_13_2015_6_19_58_PM.jpg

8 hours ago, numisport said:

This year on my 61st birthday I think I bought a couple early proof Washingtons. I compared the card toning to some others such as this '86 Eagle I bought cheap on a card and sent it in myself. Maybe I should have left it on the card.

9_13_2015_6_20_49_PM.jpg

9_13_2015_6_21_22_PM.jpg

9_13_2015_6_19_58_PM.jpg

It's tough to decide sometimes.

3 hours ago, Six Mile Rick said:

Lee,

It looks as if we both did very well on our birthdays this year.

I can't wait till we see what's for Christmas!!!  ^^

Ok. I need to see your coin for verification.  ;)

Well,,,,

My birthday just happened to line up with a great NGC sell off at Great Collections -- May/07/18. I spent $8500 on full step nickels, full torch dimes, and state quarters ( 46 coins ). The best 2 state quarters were 2005-P Minnesota SMS MS70 1989771-004 pop 3 and a 2007-D Idaho SMS MS69 3092237-008 pop 1 and only. There was a nice nickel 1971-D MS66 5FS that I got cheap. I think it will get a 67 with preservation.

I grabbed 9 of the 10 2008 SMS MS69 state quarters and then sold 7 of them the same week I purchased them. :)