• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1915 halves? What conditions should be graded

6 posts in this topic

I wouldn't submit anything below VF, unless it was one of the semi-key dates in this series.  (There are no key date Barber Halves by my definition.).  To my recollection, it isn't worth it financially since grades below VF are usually valued below $200.  I presume this coin is from Philadelphia but can't know without a reverse image.

Going by the image only, I'd guess the one pictured grades VG under current standards but would have been "Good" under traditional ones, as I don't see any of the letters in "LIBERTY" visible.

Different people will have different answers. Even though it's a better date, I probably wouldn't get it graded unless I thought it would grade F-12 or better. And it looks only G6 with a shot at VG8 to me.

10 hours ago, World Colonial said:

I wouldn't submit anything below VF, unless it was one of the semi-key dates in this series.  (There are no key date Barber Halves by my definition.).  To my recollection, it isn't worth it financially since grades below VF are usually valued below $200.  I presume this coin is from Philadelphia but can't know without a reverse image.

Going by the image only, I'd guess the one pictured grades VG under current standards but would have been "Good" under traditional ones, as I don't see any of the letters in "LIBERTY" visible.

It’s a denverDenver

3 hours ago, BellaNathan said:

It’s a denverDenver

In the future, if you’re looking for help with coins, it would be better to show images of both sides. In this thread, you didn’t do that and you initially misidentified the coin as a 1915 instead of a 1915-D. In many cases, the date and/or mint mark can make a big difference.