• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Many Grades of Very Fine in Barber Coinage

2 posts in this topic

As I attempt to continue to grow in my knowledge and understanding of the grading of coins, specifically Barber coins, the more questions I have.  Only in the AU range are there as many grade variations(4 Grades: 50,53,55,58), not counting the plus designation.  While the AU range seems a bit clearer to me, VF still escapes me.

My question is this and it may not be a simple one to answer.  What are the biggest differences in the Very Fine grade range that separates VF20, VF25, VF30 and VF35?  What are you looking for to determine that the coin in question is a VF30 and not VF35 or VF25?  The ANA grading standards book I have only defines the difference between two grades, 20 and 30. 

I would think that a VF25 coin would have slightly better details than a VF20 coin, but not quite as much detail as for a VF30 coin.  Same with a VF35 coin doesn't quite have the detail needed to grade XF40.  There is also the "problem" issue where some marks, scratches, dings, etc could bring the eye appeal and details grade down a little.  This is my opinion, and I could be wrong.  ;-)