• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Weird toning on 1982 kennedy

4 posts in this topic

Hello again,

Well, from the photos, I'm not seeing any purple coloring but that is likely just the photos.  If your half is toned, my guess is that it spent some time in a Dansco album, which caused it to tone up a bit.  This is a common occurrence with modern proofs that are placed in albums.

I have also noticed that nickel proofs of that era will sometimes tone in the mint holders in bluish tones. They also sometimes develop a milky haze - not a good thing.:(

1 hour ago, Just Bob said:

I have also noticed that nickel proofs of that era will sometimes tone in the mint holders in bluish tones. They also sometimes develop a milky haze - not a good thing.:(

I've seen that too Bob.  The bluish toning can be absolutely beautiful, but all too often that haze completely ruins it.  A blue toned nickel coin without the haze is actually pretty difficult to find.....I've only seen a few over the years, and I've seen A LOT of proofs from this era!