• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

'55's are so full of DD's, this is one too, right?

4 posts in this topic

Hi guys. I have this beat up '55 with a nice Obverse Lamination error but am wondering about the areas I have notated on it also. I don't necessarily think they ate DD's but would like to know just what they ARE. Please and Thank You. Also, I know that it is a PIDT/Ghost and not a clash. And where is the VDB? THANKS!!!

img_1535307327504.jpg

img_1535307376250.jpg

img_1535307405974.jpg

img_1535307313458.jpg

img_1535307339553.jpg

img_1535517650916.jpg

Hi again Karen,

I think you have found an example of what is known as the 1955 Poor Man's Doubled Die.  It isn't a true doubled die but an example of a coin struck from deteriorating dies.  This variety was made popular by some coin dealers who saw a way to make a few bucks while offering collectors on budget a way to fill a pricey spot in their albums.  You can see a picture of an example here:

http://www.lincolncentresource.com/FAQ/Poormansdoubleddie.html

I hope this is of some help, as always.  It's a pretty cool find!

~Tom

Yeah, that is indeed what it's called. It's technical name is 'Raised Die Deterioration Doubling' and is featured with an exact duplicate of my cion in err-ref.  Sucks! Lol! Thanks Mohawk. Glad to hear from you. Makes my visit here worth while.

Hi Karen,

It's always good to hear from you as well!! Sorry that you only found the Poor Man's Doubled Die, but there's some good stuff to be found out there.  I've actually found 2 1984 Doubled Die Obverse cents in circulation and other goodies as well.  Keep hunting and you'll find something, you're doing a great job as a new collector :)

~Tom