• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

newbie found 1969 S red

13 posts in this topic

Well......I don't see any doubling in the provided photos, so it's either not doubled at all or the doubling is so subtle and minor that it isn't showing up.  This coin definitely isn't the famous and valuable 1969-S Doubled Die cent.......that coin is one of those varieties that is unmistakable once you've seen one.  Here's a great page to see the variety:

http://www.lincolncentresource.com/doubledies/1969Sddo1.html

1 hour ago, Mohawk said:

Well......I don't see any doubling in the provided photos, so it's either not doubled at all or the doubling is so subtle and minor that it isn't showing up.  This coin definitely isn't the famous and valuable 1969-S Doubled Die cent.......that coin is one of those varieties that is unmistakable once you've seen one.  Here's a great page to see the variety:

http://www.lincolncentresource.com/doubledies/1969Sddo1.html

The thing that I like about the '69S DDO is that, unlike many doubled dies, the motto, date, and LIBERTY all show strong doubling. ( I like the '55 and '72 for the same reason.)

56 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

The thing that I like about the '69S DDO is that, unlike many doubled dies, the motto, date, and LIBERTY all show strong doubling. ( I like the '55 and '72 for the same reason.)

Agreed Bob.  Those varieties are all unmistakable, unlike many other doubled dies.  Those three are total eye candy!

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I see at least half a dozen 1969-S cents a week submitted to NGC for DDO attribution which turn out to be simple strike doubling. Through an unfortunate coincidence, such worthless doubling is commonplace on the S-Mint cents of 1968-72, and it misleads many newbies.

That's why I come to you guys and my FB groups first. Save a lot of coin by not sending stuff in without a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th opinion. And sometimes 5th and 6th if y'all are real talkative.

8 hours ago, KarenHolcomb said:

That's why I come to you guys and my FB groups first. Save a lot of coin by not sending stuff in without a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th opinion. And sometimes 5th and 6th if y'all are real talkative.

We're always glad to help, Karen.  There's a lot of knowledge here.......I've learned a lot here myself, and I continue to do so. 

First off, nice photos!  As for your coin, I just see a regular 1958 Lincoln Cent.  I do not see any doubling or anything unusual about it.