• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Newest Prooflike: 1770 George III Halfpence

8 posts in this topic

My newest prooflike coin is also now my oldest! 

I am pleased to show this gorgeous piece of copper to you all. This is a 1770 Halfpence from Great Britain, minted under the rule of King George III. The American collectors among us may remember him because we whooped his butt twice, in 2 different wars. He also suffered from a variety of mental and physical ailments. You can watch a very entertaining and well made movie, called "The Madness of King George" to see more: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110428/

The present coin is a halfpenny, and it is quite large. It is slightly smaller than a US half dollar. It features the king on the obverse, and Britannia seated on the reverse. There are only 4 halfpennies graded PL for all of George III, 3 of them 1770, and one 1771. It appears that the dies were rusted, and then polished to remove the rust. You can see rust pitting in numerous places around the coin. It's also interesting to see just how much polishing was done in various places - Britannia seems to meld into the fields in a few places. 

The surfaces of this coin are incredibly hard to portray in a photograph, but they are distinctly reflective. My obverse shot shows this a bit better, but the reverse is equally reflective. The brown copper eats light, but it is an attractively patinated, completely original coin. NGC graded it MS-64 BN PL. I'm pleased to add this gorgeous coin to my collection! 

IMG_3337.jpg
IMG_3352.jpg

Another superb prooflike for you ! Needle sharp obverse with some detail polished away on reverse ? I'm not any bit familiar with world or English coins but you have good taste.