• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newbe - Coins graded by NGS or CCGS

8 posts in this topic

I have inherited a number of coins that are graded by NGS and CCGS.  I was told that those are not recognized.  Should i get them "regraded"?  

If yes, and I do not know the value of these coins, how can i find out the cost of gradding them?  These are GOLD and the majority of them are part of the indian head "theme". Also, I am very new to this as I have never collected but now I have some and I need to educate myself.

Here is what I have 

1913-S $5.00
1915-S $5.00
1914-S $10.00
1914-D $10.00
1916-S $10.00
1910 $10.00
1914-S $10.00

Welcome  to the forum. 

There were at least two grading services that went by NGS. One was Nugrade, and I don't recall the name of the other at the moment. I believe CCGS was Capitol Coin Grading Service. All were "third world" grading services, which are now out of business. As with most of these types of grading services, their grades usually were, at best, a point or two over what the top two services, NGC and PCGS, would assign a coin, and at worst, complete hogwash. I tell you this because, if they were way off on their grading, you may send in a coin that has been graded , for example, MS 65, and it may come back as AU 55, or even worse, it may have been cleaned or have other problems, and may not grade at all. My advice would be to hold on to them until you have educated yourself on how to grade coins yourself. Unless you plan to sell them soon, there is no hurry to have them regraded, and learning to spot potential problems may save you some money and heartache. Take them to a local coin dealer or coin show, or find a coin club near you, and get some opinions from people with experience.  You can also post pictures of both sides of the coin(s) on here (please try to make them clear, close-up, and,  preferrably, right side up). 

As far as determining the value of your coins, our hosts have a price guide that can be found by clicking on the "Resources" link, or you can use Numismedia.com, or any of a number if other price guides. Be aware that not only are most of these price lists high  retail prices, but they also are based on the grade of the coin, which brings us back to the importance of learning to grade for yourself. 

The camera would probably produce pictures that are truer to the actual look of the coin, but the scanner may be sufficient to show any marks or wear. Try the easiest choice first. :)

Depends on what you mean by "recognized".  If you mean are they considered a legitimate grading service, then yes, they are typically ranked as the number three service behind PCGS and NGC.

As a general rule coins in ANACS slabs will not sell for prices that PCGS or NGC coins of the same grade will bring.  Doesn't necessarily mean the ANACS coins wouldn't grade the same in PCGS or NGC slabs, they might or they might not, just that they won't sell for as much.