• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EBay

23 posts in this topic

I haven't seen anything on EBay to by for my primary collection in about a year. I finally spotted one at an attractive price. I fell asleep on th couch and the auction ended. I was perturbed - so I ended up submitting 30 low bids on the upcoming Downies auction. Chances for success - zero.

2 hours ago, Zebo said:

I haven't seen anything on EBay to by for my primary collection in about a year. I finally spotted one at an attractive price. I fell asleep on th couch and the auction ended. I was perturbed - so I ended up submitting 30 low bids on the upcoming Downies auction. Chances for success - zero.

Heritage auction is going on now & this week. More chances. 

1 hour ago, LINCOLNMAN said:

Heritage auction is going on now & this week. More chances. 

Looked at Heritage - didn't see anything this time. There are a few in upcoming auctions that I may go after. Waiting for the Chicago and New York shows. The overseas auction also should have something for me.

Yes I like Ebay too and found some good deals. Choose them wisely however. At least one seller I know sells mostly register plastic with low eye appeal. I tracked several of those coins to Heritage recent auctions where the lots hammered cheap exactly because........ they were low eye appeal for the high grade.

Ebay is useful for some of the things I collect - I'll randomly see some rare coin pop up from sellers in Europe or Asia, and there isn't a whole lot of competition for most of what I'm buying. 

Ebay isn't terribly useful for my prooflike US coins, though.... everything is ridiculously overpriced, or just doesn't appear. 

2 hours ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

Ebay is useful for some of the things I collect - I'll randomly see some rare coin pop up from sellers in Europe or Asia, and there isn't a whole lot of competition for most of what I'm buying. 

Ebay isn't terribly useful for my prooflike US coins, though.... everything is ridiculously overpriced, or just doesn't appear. 

Overpriced is right and low quality. 

Aside from the occasional coin show, EBay is about the only place for me to find the exonumia that I collect. I have found some pieces at antique stores or flea markets in the past, but those instances are not common.

At one time, I would watch the auctions that I was bidding in closely, often trying to get in a last minute bid, hoping I wouldn't lose out at the last second. Now, when I find something that interests me, I just decide at the outset what I am willing to pay,  enter that amount, and let it ride. I don't stress if I get outbid, since there will always be something else to catch my eye later on down the road.

I often buy an inexpensive coin but prices on eBay have gone too far.  Mainly if there's a high end coin I want I purchase it from a dealer I've known for a long time.

eBay is good for the occasional birthday gift.

4 hours ago, AlexStoddart said:

Mainly if there's a high end coin I want I purchase it from a dealer I've known for a long time.

This, in my opinion, is the best way to go. Having a good relationship with a trustworthy dealer is priceless.

I have also had great success buying from board members here.

I just wish I had a few local dealers that dealt in what I like.

10 hours ago, Just Bob said:

This, in my opinion, is the best way to go. Having a good relationship with a trustworthy dealer is priceless.

I have also had great success buying from board members here.

I just wish I had a few local dealers that dealt in what I like.

I've been fortunate with this particular dealer.  So far, and I do say 'so far',  they have never turned down one of my counter offers.  I stick to Morgan Dollars; mainly Carson City but San Fran and New Orleans too.  So, my dealer has a really good variety of Morgans to keep me occupied.  Thanks for your reply.

PS:  Don't know if you remember those two CC Trade Dollars that came back from NGC as cleaned.  Cracked them out and sent them to PCGS for a second opinion.  PCGS 'Details' both of them.  Oh well, one can hope for a miracle.   :-(

4 hours ago, AlexStoddart said:

PS:  Don't know if you remember those two CC Trade Dollars that came back from NGC as cleaned.  Cracked them out and sent them to PCGS for a second opinion.  PCGS 'Details' both of them.  Oh well, one can hope for a miracle.   :-(

Well, there's always ANACS, ICG, SEGS, ... :baiting:

:D

3 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Well, there's always ANACS, ICG, SEGS, ... :baiting:

:D

Nah, think I'll take the licks and move on.  Thanks and have a great day.

7 hours ago, AlexStoddart said:

Nah, think I'll take the licks and move on.  Thanks and have a great day.

You have a really good attitude about it.(thumbsu

I'm glad you found you a good local dealer. Those are not always easy to find,

Feel free to post pictures of those Morgans. We always like looking at nice coins.:)

10 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Feel free to post pictures of those Morgans. We always like looking at nice coins.:)

I will put up a couple of pics soon.

18 hours ago, Just Bob said:

IMG_0068.jpg

5 hours ago, Mk123 said:

I'm loving ebay and heritage as I'm collecting world crown sized coins as well as coins from thailand and there is so much I can find to research/compare and buy. My wallet is getting lighter so I gotta be careful!

Mine too.  I really exceeded my budget for this month.

Was just on Ebay looking around for a deal or two.  No luck!  Those folks have gone crazy with their prices.  When I can get a higher MS/better looking coin from a high end dealer for $200.00+or- something is very wrong at Ebay.  It just surprises me how fast this gap came about.

11 hours ago, Alex in PA. said:

Was just on Ebay looking around for a deal or two.  No luck!  Those folks have gone crazy with their prices.  When I can get a higher MS/better looking coin from a high end dealer for $200.00+or- something is very wrong at Ebay.  It just surprises me how fast this gap came about.

The3 economy is boomoing so expect it more ...