• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PROVINCIAL CHINA, 20 CENTS (2x), identification request..

7 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, we are not able to provide opinions via images as our experts need to see the coin in hand to make an accurate assessment. 

There seems to be deviation from the print in relation to known (reference) coins.

They are actual silver or possibly copper plated. They perform slightly below 0.900 silver in a ice test but so does silver plated copper.

The dimensions do match?

Circulation and oxidation can have their influence...

Are there known variations from that time?

These coins are likely silver plated brass like copper.

Brass like as the heat conductivity is more in the range of (0.800) silver and pure copper.

The density is also close to silver, the print is not that terrible either.

Assumed fake until I decide to drill a hole to confirm it.

I know absolutely nothing about these coins, but after comparing them to pictures of real coins, I believe they are fake.

According to the NGC catalog your coin on the left should be brass. The sliver 20 cent coin from the Yunnan province looks very different.  As for the coin on the right I can't make out any differences between the picture on NGC and yours.  It would be a great find if it was 'for sure' real.