• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unclad 1984 P Dime?

2 posts in this topic

Hi! I am a newbie, but I found this very odd looking 1984 P Dime. What is the deal with this dime? Is it anything special? Is it missing th cladding? Thank you in advance for your help.86AE5686-681B-4701-BAC5-172BC00D9D62.thumb.jpeg.74f748f807e408e5f2a3917b889f559a.jpeg

F3CDAA51-84E3-4F61-BBFE-0F2ECCCBB382.jpeg

Hello and welcome! 
What I believe you have there is a regular dime which has environmental damage.  I've found really dark clad coins in my time as well, and that's almost always what they are.  Copper-nickel, which is what the outer clad layers are made of, tends to get really dark like that when exposed to harsh environmental conditions.  The last job I had before pursuing post-graduate education and moving into higher education as a career was at a coin shop.I cannot tell you how many Buffalo and Liberty nickels, coins made entirely of copper-nickel, that would come through the door in lots looking just like your dime.

I hope this is of some help!

~Tom