• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

help on coin values

5 posts in this topic

i have some coins and i want to know if they are worth getting graded or if they are rare or not and how to get the most for the coins at a coin shop. i have pictures. its a camera phone so they may be not that great=( and also can you tell me if there are any errors cause i have no clue on whats a error and whats wear. wont let me post all my coins says 4mb limit? thanks

first up is the silver coins liberty 1942 s

0629181307a.thumb.jpg.3b1c9eeb063c6b049cff9f66095f62bd.jpg0629181307.thumb.jpg.bed6456fcaab18cd2921459aff014866.jpg

0629181337b.jpg

0629181338.jpg

0629181338a.jpg

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Those are normal coins with moderate wear. They have no premium over their silver value, which is about $5.80 this week.

On 7/6/2018 at 9:11 AM, DWLange said:

Those are normal coins with moderate wear. They have no premium over their silver value, which is about $5.80 this week.

so even the 42 s wich google said was 13$ is not? and what about these pennies? how do you tell if its a error or wear? what about v nickels?

1 hour ago, maiku said:

so even the 42 s wich google said was 13$ is not? and what about these pennies? how do you tell if its a error or wear? what about v nickels?

That $13 price would be retail - what you could expect a coin dealer to charge you for the coin. If you were to try to sell them, however, you could expect to only receive around melt value.

If you really want to sell them, try listing them in the Marketplace Forum for around $7.50 a piece, and see if you get any takers.

18 hours ago, maiku said:

Have you contacted Google to accept their offer of $13? If Google will actually pay you that, then you have confirmation of its value. I'd take it before they change their minds.

A coin's value is what someone will pay you for it. Anyone can write anything on a price sheet.

The way you tell if it's an error or wear is that wear looks like it happened in pockets and cash drawers and purses (gradual flattening, small dings), and an error looks like it was that way when minted. Also, the other way you tell it's an error or wear is that it's so overwhelmingly nearly always wear that you assume wear unless you see compelling evidence that the coin was minted that way.

These are very well worn common issue Walkers, and a dealer will pay you a little less than melt for them. A customer will probably pay you about what a dealer will ask, which is slightly over melt.

V nickels, a.k.a. Liberty Head nickels, are always valuable in nice condition. Nice is rare (I have a proof one I paid $600 for). Worn flat is normal, and in that condition they're low value.