• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rare pennies stl valuable if damaged?

9 posts in this topic

If a sought after, rare penny like a 1992 close AM or a 1982d small date copper , were damaged; would they be of any significant value still? The type of damage where devices look enlarged and there are dings and dents everywhere... Would it still be anything ?

Since both coin types are modern issue, complete unsearched rolls can still be found that will at times, yield gradable coins vs a details coin, so the value of finding one with damage takes away at least 90% of it value.

I don't have any interest in these very high priced "rare" modern minor die varieties, but if I did, I would temper my enthusiasm with some logic. If you have ever taken a tour of the Philadelphia Mint, you will have seen how they can pound out very large numbers (I’m talking thousands) of cents in very little time. Even if there were only one die that had this AM reverse variety, the number of pieces that it could have produced is way more than five or whatever the current population is. It’s hard to believe that the mint didn’t make thousands of these coins that are waiting to be found.

Most people don’t look at these coins, not even most coin collectors. I think that paying over $20,000 for one of these things in a sucker bet. If it become famous enough, people are going to start looking, and when they do, more will be found.

Add to that the fact that cents don’t circulation that much anymore, but end up in jars and drawers, you have ample opportunity for many Mint State examples.

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 12:53 PM, BillJones said:

I don't have any interest in these very high priced "rare" modern minor die varieties, but if I did, I would temper my enthusiasm with some logic. If you have ever taken a tour of the Philadelphia Mint, you will have seen how they can pound out very large numbers (I’m talking thousands) of cents in very little time

Reality could be that tens of thousands of close AM cents are out there. That's if only one die were used. What was mintage of '55 double die cent...... 40k ?

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 12:53 PM, BillJones said:

I don't have any interest in these very high priced "rare" modern minor die varieties, but if I did, I would temper my enthusiasm with some logic. If you have ever taken a tour of the Philadelphia Mint, you will have seen how they can pound out very large numbers (I’m talking thousands) of cents in very little time. Even if there were only one die that had this AM reverse variety, the number of pieces that it could have produced is way more than five or whatever the current population is. It’s hard to believe that the mint didn’t make thousands of these coins that are waiting to be found.

Most people don’t look at these coins, not even most coin collectors. I think that paying over $20,000 for one of these things in a sucker bet. If it become famous enough, people are going to start looking, and when they do, more will be found.

Add to that the fact that cents don’t circulation that much anymore, but end up in jars and drawers, you have ample opportunity for many Mint State examples.

Bill,

With all due respect, I think that you are failing to account for the high attrition that modern cents suffer.  They get left in parking lots and run over by cars, they get thrown away rather than dealt with and placed in jars or re-rolled and returned to the bank and the zinc cents, they just rot.  I cannot tell you how many rotted zinc cents I've seen.  And, I also disagree that most collectors do not look at these coins.  You may not because you dislike moderns, but there are plenty of collectors that do enjoy moderns that also have the Cherrypicker's Guide and Strike It Rich With Pocket Change that are on the lookout for these coins and other varieties.  You are likely correct that there were likely large numbers of these varieties out in circulation at one time......but decades have gone by, and many of these coins have been lost to the various sources of attrition that cents suffer more than any other denomination.  I'd say that some of these are actually rarities by now, especially any that are zinc cents that are over 15 to 20 years old.  

Perhaps I sould start a poll.

How many collectors get out at least 10X glass and look at modern cents to find die varieties?

Fess up. How many of you really spend your time doing that? In the past it's been mostly advanced collectors, not new collectors, who got invovled with type of work, and believe me doing that is real work.

I'll admit that when I'm rolling cents, two or three times a years, I might look to see if there is a 1969-S doubled die in the group. But I'd never spend the time to look for some of the stuff that has been posted here as "rare doubled dies" which take a strong glass ot see them. Add to that the fact that many of the photos are of damaged coins. Even if you did find a doubled die that was fairly easy to see, the fact that the coin is damaged would severely limit the market for it and would make some people think that the damage is responsible for appearance of what appears to be a die preparation error.

11 minutes ago, BillJones said:

How many collectors get out at least 10X glass and look at modern cents to find die varieties?

Fess up. How many of you really spend your time doing that? In the past it's been mostly advanced collectors, not new collectors, who got invovled with type of work, and believe doing that is real work.

I'll admit that when I'm rolling cents, two or three times a years, I might look to see if there is a 1969-S doubled die in the group. But I'd never spend the time to look for some of the stuff that has been posted here as "rare doubled dies" which take a strong glass ot see them. Add to that the fact that many of the photos are of damaged coins. Even if you did find a doubled die that was fairly easy to see, the fact that the coin is damaged would severely limit the market for it and would make some people think that the damage is responsible for appearance of what appears to be a die preparation error.

Sad to say I don't look at my change, haven't for many years. Since about 1964. Not knocking other forms of collecting at all, but differences in dies or die states are just not my area of interest. The somewhat silly posts of damaged coins seem to have slowed. I've wondered if the posts of road kill were really serious anyway. My hat's off to those who have been patient with those folks and tried to instruct them. 

1 hour ago, BillJones said:

Fess up. How many of you really spend your time doing that? In the past it's been mostly advanced collectors, not new collectors, who got invovled with type of work, and believe doing that is real work.

I actually think a poll would be very interesting Bill.  It would give us a sample to work from to actually get an idea of how active this facet of collecting is.  As for myself, I do check my change because, I have it so why not? And I have found a couple of decent varieties in doing so.  However, I am still working to finish my childhood collection of Canadian cents out of circulation, so I may not be typical because I have that reason spurring me to check my change. 

I'm sure there are those that still enjoy looking at change. I don't do it.

I must have looked at 100,000 Mercury dimes in my life, maybe more, and never found an overdate. I've easily sorted 400,000 to 500,000 wheats and never found a 55/55. I guess I've felt that if I looked at the stuff that gave me a chance at a find, and still didn't find it, why would I look in my pocket ?