• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another PL Lincoln find

8 posts in this topic

It's been a while since I published my prooflike 49-S, 53-S, and 55-S cent finds. In the interim I've found a handful more of these dates, but most recently I searched a 46-S BU roll (not original, and very mixed/made up from several rolls) and ended up finding a single PL example of this date. The coin shows decent reflectivity on both obverse and reverse, though a bit stronger on the obverse.

I shot the obverse and reverse, along with a more regular looking coin from the same roll, see below. I used axial lighting, which brings out the nice deep colors of proof coins, and it is doing similarly to this coin. The axial lighting makes the more regular looking coin just evenly-lit. Axial technique does not present luster.

Of course, no proofs were struck in 1946, so this coin was probably not struck from used proof dies.

Would love to hear comments. I have another roll to look through, and am hoping to find more of these...

IMG_2026_F.JPG

IMG_2027_F.JPG

IMG_2028_F.JPG

IMG_2029_F.JPG

Edited to add:

Here is a pic of both coins side by side with in-hand lighting to show a better comparison:

DSC_2024_F.JPG

I can't tell exactly how deep the mirrors are, but having studied die states of the Prooflikes of 1934-1954, this die state looks like that where the mirrors have begun to fade, leaving only semi-reflective surfaces. I don't consider such die states to be Prooflike, nor does NGC. But again, I can't quite tell from the pictures.

18 hours ago, coinman1794 said:

I can't tell exactly how deep the mirrors are, but having studied die states of the Prooflikes of 1934-1954, this die state looks like that where the mirrors have begun to fade, leaving only semi-reflective surfaces. I don't consider such die states to be Prooflike, nor does NGC. But again, I can't quite tell from the pictures.

I built a special jig to show the reflectivity of the PL Cent. Cut a V in a piece of wood, and on one surface put a true grey sticker, and on the other a piece of card stock with lines drawn every 2mm. So the coin is close to the lines near LIBERTY, but far (27mm) other side near date.

46S%20PL2_0_1.jpg

1 hour ago, rmpsrpms said:

You guys crack me up.

If you dont appreciate advice then I dont know what to say for you.

6 hours ago, rmpsrpms said:

I built a special jig to show the reflectivity of the PL Cent. Cut a V in a piece of wood, and on one surface put a true grey sticker, and on the other a piece of card stock with lines drawn every 2mm. So the coin is close to the lines near LIBERTY, but far (27mm) other side near date.

46S%20PL2_0_1.jpg

My best guess from these images is that this coin is still semi-reflective, but does not qualify for the NGC PL designation. This 46-S cent roughly corresponds to my Stage D in the die progression of the polished PL coins of 1934-1954. Only my stages A and B qualify for the PL designation under NGC standards. See my full analysis and images here:

http://www.dmrarecoins.com/1947-S-RPM-FS-501-25C-Die-Progression.php

I agree with coinman, this coin definitely has semi-prooflike properties, but is not strong enough for the PL designation. It is special, and different than normal, but not quite all the way there.