• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1959 D Wheat Cent

5 posts in this topic

I know I will get some heat on this one, but I need to know more about this coin. I recently inherited a 1959 D Wheat Cent from a family member that collected Cents for over 60 years. I know this coin has even been called the perfect counterfeit in books and publications; but I would.like to know if NGC would even consider taking a look at this coin and letting me know if this could be a the second coin of its kind or if it's a fake made in someone's basement. 

20180418_181609.jpg

Not sure what you are asking. If you are questioning the weight, this normal for a memorial penny. 3.11g  The newer ones, 1982 to date weigh in at 2.5g. 

To answer one question, NGC will take a look at any coin provided you are a Collector's Society member and you pay the grading fees.  However, grading is costly.  There are several fake 1959-D Wheat Cents out there and the likelihood that you have a real one is quite small.  If I am remembering this correctly, I believe that a known and convicted counterfeiter admitted to making these coins and that they weren't genuine.  And other fakes of this coin have been made since then  And, as far as I know, NGC nor PCGS has authenticated one of these, though they have been submitted.  Here's an older thread on this topic I located:

As for my thoughts....they're all fake.  There is far more evidence pointing to these coins being forgeries than actual transitional errors.  And, it has been almost 60 years since 1959, and NGC and PCGS have been around since the 1980's and ANACS has been around even longer than that......and not one of these has been certified genuine in all of that time. 

Just my thoughts, and someone may know something about this topic that I do not.