• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An interesting 1853 United States Assay Office of Gold $20. Struck Copy of K-18

11 posts in this topic

First off I posted this ATS, but was wondering if NGC would consider encapsulating this as a fantasy piece?

This is my main question on whether it would be slabbed?

I won this in the stacks auction

It weighs 17.6 gram/ The edge is reeded and the reverse seems to be well struck compared to the obverse. The lines that you see on the obverse is raised and all the details are there but some are very light.

I have never seen a copy struck in copper of the Assay $20 before, may not mean much but I do kinda get around.
If anyone can give me some additional information as to who may have struck this copy and when.

I did speak to a great member its and he stated the dies appears to be created from spark erosion and after internet searching I did find

information and have the article posted below

It did come with the tag from Early American Numismatic Auctions, Inc.'s sale of December 2, 1995, lot 782. 
I did an online search but cannot find this one. Maybe someone here may have it or know how I can obtain it.
I would love to find out who did it and if there are any others out there.

I will post the article on the next reply as I cant figure out how to get all the information on on post

If you want Stacks images click on the link at the top. Below are my images, I hope you can click on them to see the full size.
obverse.thumb.png.933dde0a9272711504b2c1f98b46e5ff.png

reverse.thumb.png.4d63ea995721aadac3f873f469499c26.png

Fakes and counterfeits are, bu definition, not authentic. How can any TPG "authenticate" a fake?

49 minutes ago, RWB said:

Fakes and counterfeits are, bu definition, not authentic. How can any TPG "authenticate" a fake?

Many coins and tokens are labeled as "fantasy" Since this is struck I thought it would be nice to get it slabbed

I don't know if NGC would slab it, frankly I doubt it. However ICG probably would., Although they would probably do it in one of their yellow label counterfeit slabs.

4 hours ago, Conder101 said:

I don't know if NGC would slab it, frankly I doubt it. However ICG probably would., Although they would probably do it in one of their yellow label counterfeit slabs.

Thanks Conder101 for the suggestion. Maybe I will email NGC direct and if turned down ask ICG, I never thought about that company

as I have never used them. I really think this is a neat fantasy piece and although not attributed to the Franklin Hoard of counterfeit gold I do think

it is. The main reason for discounting it from the Franklin Hoard was simply that the number of  edge reeds match a pattern planchet. But the 

edge is usually a third die, no? If this is the case I would defiantly say it was done in the hoard.

On 4/20/2018 at 3:57 PM, coinsarefun said:

Many coins and tokens are labeled as "fantasy" Since this is struck I thought it would be nice to get it slabbed

It is and remains a counterfeit. Nothing more. The be a "fantasy" under US law, it MUST comply with the Hobby Protection Act. No excuses or bologna.

SEGS slabbed a "Bungtown copper" for me. It's a legit colonial, listed in the Redbook, but is an imitation George III half-penny. NGC refused to slab it because it's counterfeit. Of course many collected colonials are counterfeits, but I guess they have to draw the line somewhere. Anyway SEGS put it in a slab with a "non-authentic" educational only label. Not much imagination on their part but more so than our host and at least it's in plastic. 

On 4/23/2018 at 3:08 PM, LINCOLNMAN said:

SEGS slabbed a "Bungtown copper" for me. It's a legit colonial, listed in the Redbook, but is an imitation George III half-penny. NGC refused to slab it because it's counterfeit. Of course many collected colonials are counterfeits, but I guess they have to draw the line somewhere. Anyway SEGS put it in a slab with a "non-authentic" educational only label. Not much imagination on their part but more so than our host and at least it's in plastic. 

I do agree with you lincolnman with regards to being a legitimate colonial. I also like the SEGS holders better than IGC even though SEGS has that type of label. At least I may have a few different slab companies to consider if I decide to slab it.

I was unaware of SEGS having a non-authentic educational only label. I was under the impression that ICG was the only company that had that. I wonder if NGC would refuse to slab a Machins Mills piece. There listed in the Redbook, and collected by die variety, but they are also contemporary counterfeits.