• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rinsing coins without damaging them?

4 posts in this topic

Hi, I am aware is not recommended to clean the old coins, but most if the coins in my collection have been poorly stored and handled so far, and I'd like to rinse them to remove the fingerprint/sweat traces. What would you recommend to do in this case. I'm not interesting in scrubbing any dirt or to change the surface in any way. But I understood in time the fingerprints and sweat can damage the surface. Any advice? I also imagine there might be different substances to use depending on the material each coin is made of. I would appreciate any opinion or guidance in this matter. Many thanks!

Acetone will remove oils from fingerprints.  But it might also change the color, especially on a red or red/brown copper coin.  My opinion is:  Don't clean your coins.  If they are valueless and easily replaced, go ahead and experiment.  But if they have any value at all, you will most likely be reducing that value substantially by cleaning it.