• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To grade or not to grade

4 posts in this topic

I have 60 really nice BU 1938-D Buffalos I've had for at least 20 years.  Don't know if any are D/D or D/S or other varieties.  Is it worth having these graded, and if so will it cost more to have any varieties identified if there are any?  Any suggestions?  Photo is from my cell phone without any enhancements, and  post better ones if that helps.  Thanks.

buffs.jpg

Can't tell the potential grade from your image and don't know how to accurately grade this series either.  What I can tell you is that the 38-D Buffalo is one of the most common US circulating coins in high quality dated prior to 1999.  The population count at both services exceeds 100,000 with most MS-65 or MS-66.  The two die varieties you mentioned aren't scarce either.  At minimum, I expect you would need to receive an MS-65 to break even and maybe an MS-66.  You can check prior prices on eBay or Heritage.

You could pick out 6 or 7 best coins with fewest marks (and only fully struck would do for me) to submit economy for 20 bucks each. Just send them priority signature required to reduce shipping cost and at the very least you would have protected coins. You could put them in holders yourself such as Airtights or Amos PCGS type holders but proper care should be taken to avoid fingerprints and I usually swab them with acetone prior to holdering to remove any surface residue or film. They look like nice lustrous coins but I would need a fully struck MS 67 to satisfy me and further I would guess there are more surviving 38-D's than all other dates combined !