• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ancient coin

4 posts in this topic

Welcome.

I do not know how popular the  gold aureus is with counterfeiters, but it does seem like an easy coin to fake, so I would at least have it authenticated, if it were mine.

Actually, I would have it authenticated BEFORE it was mine.

You can find information on how to do that  RIGHT HERE.

The aureus is popular enough, and spendy enough, for Bob's emphasis on authentication to be underlined. Any coin of Julius Caesar gets people pretty excited. If we'd gotten diameter and weight, it would have helped a bit in this area.

If authentic, looks like Sear 1395. Compare yours to those examples shown. In 2007, looks like they were hammering for US$2000-2500.

Hello.

Nice aureus -  a highly important historical coin.

There seem to be two extreme viewpoints on whether to encapsulate ancient coins in general.  In my case, I really value to security of the holder, and the external validation of the coin and its condition. Some excoriate the practice, and lament that you can no longer directly touch the coin.  For my Roman Empire collection, in my owner's comments regarding my Agrippina Sr sestertius, I including some of my own editorial comments on this.

So, it is kinda up to you, but, if it were me, I would send it in to NGC to grade.  You can always change your mind later, and take the coin out of the holder I suppose.