• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I could not pass up this circulated rainbow

8 posts in this topic

One of the things that I have been considering is to try to put together a nice set of circulated Peace dollars in XF/AU. I don't want white coins, since I have already started a BU set that is untoned. But, looking around shops and shows, it seems like all of the circulated coins that I see are either bright white or dark gray or brown. I don't really trust Ebay for raw dollar coins, either.  In your opinion, how hard would it be to assemble a nice circulated set with that type of toning?

Oh - like your coin, by the way. B|

21 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

One of the things that I have been considering is to try to put together a nice set of circulated Peace dollars in XF/AU. I don't want white coins, since I have already started a BU set that is untoned. But, looking around shops and shows, it seems like all of the circulated coins that I see are either bright white or dark gray or brown. I don't really trust Ebay for raw dollar coins, either.  In your opinion, how hard would it be to assemble a nice circulated set with that type of toning?

Oh - like your coin, by the way. B|

Honestly, impossible. At the risk of sounding like people I have been hard on for hyping their coins as always being "the best I have ever seen", I will do so here because technically this coin hasnt arrived yet so I dont technically own it yet. But I dont think anyone could reasonably argue against that being the nicest peace rainbow on a circulated coin. Maybe even including some of the nice AU toners. Its hard to find rainbows like that on MS peace dollars, let alone circ, let alone a 21...

But let's ignore the added difficulty of the circulation toners for a moment. I have been putting together my toned P$ set for over 10 years now. And I still don't have and havent even as much as seen some dates with any nice color. 21s are tough with color but come up here and there. I have my lavender 21 filling that hole, but have seen a few others i would have bought. 22p, 23p and 24p are the most common rainbows. 22 and 23 San Frans have some rainbows out there, not as many as Ps. 22 and 23 Ds are a little tougher as they tend to get dark and mottled when they do. 25s and above I have yet to see anything that would fit my set. Some people like to pretend the 25 and aboves tone no different than the 22 and 23 but I challenge anyone to find a rainbow 28 or 27. There certainly are a couple out there somewhere. But you wont find any for sale at any given time.

So in short, its nearly impossible to do it in UNC...in circ where rainbows are tougher for any series, I would say no chance.

P$ are tough to collect. You cant do a toner full set. Cant do an all 67 set. Cant do a PL set. Blast white is nice but boring in any series.

13 minutes ago, mumu said:

So in short, its nearly impossible to do it in UNC...in circ where rainbows are tougher for any series, I would say no chance.

Looks like my only shot may be to find a  circulated set that someone put in a Wayte Raymond album 50 years ago.