• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2014 D dime

12 posts in this topic

I have two 2014 d dimes here. I’m thinking they SHOULD be very similar , yet one is very different. I’m nothing sure as to how to classify it... I see differences in lettering and placements , details and just all over. I have both to compare for others like me who has to see both to know the huge difference. Does anyone know what is going on with this dime ? Thanks!

95C02476-2619-48A2-8AAD-CC84DF5553A5.jpeg

D5B6AB74-495C-43FD-8434-7E534C65A9FF.jpeg

1C9383B4-E4FF-4F33-A9E3-8926CD06AB00.jpeg

B069ACED-13FD-46C5-9506-BB868018DD29.jpeg

00E2E8BE-E7D9-4D19-B26D-3E00C05ED2A7.jpeg

I asked 3 people to make sure I wasn’t crazy. lollol. The tree in the different one doesn’t have details in the leave so and may appear to Ben thicker even having a snub branch ...? Also the coloring of the coins are different along with the face and head size. The different one is larger and all the lettering is wider and thicker ...? Maybe I need to take more pics and better ones

F368A72C-F9D1-4421-83A6-E4536B118A21.png

I have seen 'dug' coins coming out of acidic soil conditions that have that 'look' also chlorinated pools/fountains also create abnormal looking clad coins. 

6 minutes ago, WoodenJefferson said:

I have seen 'dug' coins coming out of acidic soil conditions that have that 'look' also chlorinated pools/fountains also create abnormal looking clad coins. 

My husband has looked under a microscope and sees two parrallel lines going across it and the letters are broken up . Also the coin isnt so must and crusty as it appears. Im going to try to get better pictures...he says it looked like something with the die was off because it has die cracks and doubling?? along with misaligned letters. I will really try to get better pics. 

The line you see going through AMERICA on the reverse is Post Mint Damage or PMD, it's a scratch that happened after this coin left the coining presses.

7 hours ago, Conder101 said:

I think you are seeing wear, both on the coin and wear in the dies.

14 hours ago, WoodenJefferson said:

Ditto to both.

When the dies used to mint coins become worn, all sorts of interesting things can happen to the devices on the coin. Letters, numerals, etc. can spread out and become almost blurry looking around the edges, details can disappear, and even doubling can occur. Take a look at some pictures of some late die state Capped Bust halves, just to name one popular coin, to see some extreme examples of die wear. Add to that the normal (or abnormal) wear that the coin receives during the course of its life, and it can appear very different from a freshly minted coin from new dies.

Also, as Woody pointed out, environmental factors can affect the appearance, as well. That, and what Conder said,  may account for your coin  having that almost cast look to it.

Is it an interesting coin to study and compare to others? Absolutely. Is it worth a premium over a normal dime? Sadly, no. But keep looking! (thumbsu

Everything looks like post damage to me except for one spot. In the enlarged pics, it does look like a small die crack over the B & E of liberty. I think!