• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade or not ???

5 posts in this topic

Not being able to see reverses, we don't know the mints. That makes a big difference. However, odds favor an outcome that: all have value but none are rare; that none will be worth sending in for grading; that all will be worth at least putting into flips for protection; and that none should be cleaned. The 1900 looks well worn, but the other four look lightly worn or unworn. By the time you spent money having them 'professionally conserved' you would probably have spent much of their value on them.

I can't see anything on these coins that would make me want to clean or conserve them. Put them in coin flips or 2 by 2s and enjoy as they are.

Oops, almost forgot: Welcome to the forum. 

Here's the thing to understand: conservation is intended to halt advancing damage (for example, PVC slime), or to reverse environmental damage (for example, fire damage). It's not, as some might imagine, something all conscientious collectors do to safeguard their coins. It's done in uncommon cases where for whatever reason the coin is damaged or will become damaged. Katrina probably caused a major spike in conservation submissions. They really can do amazing things with shocking damage (which is not the case here unless you cause it).

The default setting is not to mess with the coin at all, but to shield it from mishandling (there are plastic or paper flips you can use for this; any dealer can sell you some). That will keep fingerprints off it, smears, and at least some bump protection (in the case of heavier plastic flips, a lot of protection). Bear in mind that a worn coin should look worn; collectors expect this and appreciate a natural look. Your 1900-O, for example: it's worn and darkened, but that is all right. If you really wanted to trash it (and you would be surprised how many tyros do exactly this), all you'd have to do is dip it long or buff it to a blast white color. It would then look horrid, unnatural, and even novice collectors would see immediately that it had been altered. It would have as much chance of passing for natural as I would of passing for female by wearing a dress.

So: when the consensus is your coins look fine, and that none seem to be great rarities (which does not mean they aren't nice, just that we aren't talking even three figures in value, thus the idea of spending whatever it costs for slabbing makes little sense), at least the part about how they look is good news. It means you can gently put them in your choice of holders (you can go with solid plastic disc-like ones if you prefer), hang onto them and enjoy them, sharing them with your grandfather's other relatives or whatever you think fittest handling. Might cost $5, likely less.

I totally respect your desire to honor his memory by treating them right, and your willingness to spend a little money doing so, but truth be told there is little else to be done. I'd take them to a local dealer, ask about display options, pick ones you like, and ask the dealer to put them in for you. No respectable dealer will damage them in the process. Then you'll pay the dealer for the flips or discs or whatever, and be done. If you like that dealer, maybe you'll end up going back someday. Maybe a young relative will find a growing interest and build on the collection. That's how I got started, oh, about 48 years ago.