• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why isn't this 2002 NIFS Kennedy Half Dollar Shinny

9 posts in this topic

Do you know why this 2002 Kennedy Half Dollar isn't shinny?  This coin seems to still have some cartwheel mint luster.  But, the finish is more matte than silver. I don't really want to clean it, just to see if it's covered in thin film of dirt. The matte color is rather uniform. I am new to collecting NIFS Kennedy Half Dollars, so I haven't seen too much variation.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

KHD-01.JPG

KHD-01-crop.jpg

KHD-02-crop.jpg

2002 was a transition year for the Mints in Philadelphia & Denver as Kennedy half dollars were no longer put into circulation but instead sold directly to collectors. This 2002 transition also include a more 'satiny' looking Kennedy vs the brilliant uncirculated version we were used to seeing. 

This particular coin was struck through grease, which is why it looks rough, pockmarked, and dull.

The 2002 mint set halves tended to be very reflective and semi-Prooflike, accept late die states that developed heavy star-bursting that made the mirrors frosty.

7 hours ago, coinman1794 said:

This particular coin was struck through grease, which is why it looks rough, pockmarked, and dull.

The 2002 mint set halves tended to be very reflective and semi-Prooflike, accept late die states that developed heavy star-bursting that made the mirrors frosty.

Wow. I'd never heard of struck through grease. Thank you.

What in the blazes does "NIFS" mean? 

I see a circulated beatup grungy half worth 50 cents in the OP. 

I certainly don't see anything shinny that is worth a premium. Sometimes, a common beat-up coin is worth its face value.

Hi physics-fan3.1416,

My apologies... NIFC not NIFS. NIFC stands for Not Issued for Circulation or Not Intended for Circulation. Generally referred to with Kennedy Half Dollars made for mint sets after 2002.

Grease strike throughs are very common for the most part, and only grease strikes which have obliterated large areas of the coin have any added value. However, for mint error sets strike through grease could be a valuable lower cost filler.

This Kennedy coin has a warm darker luster instead of shinny one, but I didn't know why before the considered responses of coinman1794 and WoodenJefferson.

Reference: sullivannumismatics.com/information/articles/strike-through-error-coins

Proof coins with strike-throughs can be valuable, but Mint Set coins are essentially business strikes, so the value of a mint set strike-through, vs a regular business strike strike-through, is the same.

However, this half dollar is not worth any premium; this type of strike-through is not collectable. You have to have a distinct object visible in the dent or a large part of the design obliterated, before a strike-through adds value, especially on a modern coin.