• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

964 d sms coins in the smithsonian, and OTHERS that are in it.

11 posts in this topic

There was a posting on this topic yesterday in another forum that included an article from coin world which listed all of the special coins in the Smithsonian. If I run into it again today I'll try and get a link and bring it back here.

Bologna. The SI coins are pieces off new dies donated to SI by the Mint Director at the time of manufacture. Nothing confirms ANY 'special mint set' pieces for 1964, 1963 or other years. It's nothing but "empty stuff" created by people who sell first and research last.

Just an opinion.         

7 hours ago, RWB said:

Bologna. The SI coins are pieces off new dies donated to SI by the Mint Director at the time of manufacture. Nothing confirms ANY 'special mint set' pieces for 1964, 1963 or other years. It's nothing but "empty stuff" created by people who sell first and research last.

Just an opinion.         

Have you viewed the coins in hand?

48 minutes ago, MarkFeld said:

A question that can certainly be applied to the 33s half, or any other piece.

I seem to remember that every new coin...date, mm, denomination etc., is donated to the SI and is from the first day of strike. I don't remember if it was a congressional resolution, or Treasury resolution, etc. I just remember reading about it.

30 minutes ago, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

A question that can certainly be applied to the 33s half, or any other piece.

I seem to remember that every new coin...date, mm, denomination etc., is donated to the SI and is from the first day of strike. I don't remember if it was a congressional resolution, or Treasury resolution, etc. I just remember reading about it.

Yes, my question can be applied to any coin. However, in some cases, Roger appears to be making pronouncements (rather than expressing opinions) without having seen the coins in had. Perhaps it's just his style and he expresses his opinions differently than many others.

16 minutes ago, MarkFeld said:

Yes, my question can be applied to any coin. However, in some cases, Roger appears to be making pronouncements (rather than expressing opinions) without having seen the coins in had. Perhaps it's just his style and he expresses his opinions differently than many others.

In re. to your last sentence, I do that also, or so I am told. We all have faults, I guess and we all rub somebody (or a lot of somebodies) the wrong way. RWB is a researcher of facts and I am sure judges accordingly. It is not a bad thing, really.

On 3/1/2018 at 7:20 AM, MarkFeld said:

Yes.