• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin grading questions

4 posts in this topic

There is something not quite right about this piece. It may just be the camera work, but the singularity of texture/color/lack of highlights/drabness/washed out stained appearance and beads seems off , to me. I am familiar with the piece. The rim in particular is a little funny. I guess that can all be attributable to the picture. I don't grade from photos, so what will and won't pass muster as MS from a photo is not a talent I have.

Some people like bright and shiny others prefer Natural, toned coins. If you want it valued, NGC can certainly do that, If you want it restored, they can also do that and grade it for you also. Just depends on how much you want to put into it. The price guide shows $50 difference from Au to MS 60 and $50 difference for MS 60 to MS 63. I would just submit it and see if A. Its authentic and B. if it would benefit from restoration. Don't try cleaning it yourself under any circumstances as that destroys any value other than base metal. Very solid strike, the luster and color is a bit off, But overall a nice looking strike.

Bob Sr CEO Fieldtechs

Having the coin in a holder to authenticate it might be helpful for future resale.

I haven't checked prior sales but would start with Heritage auction archives first and Great Collections second.  I doubt there is much difference in the actual market value due to the grade.  Unless you want it graded due to your preference or have a reason to believe it might not be genuine, I wouldn't spend the money on it.  I'd rather spend it elsewhere.