• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I think i have a rare 1982

5 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, Amydream said:

I would like to know for sure if one of my 1982 d pennys is a rare one i have 2 that weigh 3.1

3.11 grams is a normal weight for a copper 1982 D penny the 1982d zinc penny will be around that 2.5 grams I'm not aware of either of them being rare maybe a real expert will chime in 

One way you can tell that the difference is inconsequential (to collectors) is that Numismedia doesn't even have separate listings for the two 1982 variants. The earlier answer is correct. The only difference is that the copper penny has a melt value probably greater than its face value, and the zinc one would surely not. Short version: nothing special.

Actually, there is a rare 1982-D Copper Cent but it has to be a 1982-D Small Date that is also of the copper composition weighing 3.1 grams.  A copper 1982-D Large Date or any of the 1982 Philadelphia Cents are nothing special.

Here's a site that shows the difference in the dates:

http://www.lincolncentresource.com/smalldates/1982.html

The reason a 1982-D Small Date copper cent is a big deal is that it's a coin that is not supposed to exist.  According to the US Mint, all of the 1982-D Small Date cents are zinc.  But there are a very small number that were minted on leftover copper planchets from earlier in the year.  A 1982-D Small Date Copper cent is a transitional error, like a 1943 Copper cent or a 1944 Steel cent.  Any 1982 cent aside from a 1982-D Small Date copper is nothing special.

I hope this helps!

Good Luck!

~Tom

As I mentioned on your other thread, the coin you have pictured is the large date and it is common.  The rare one is the small date 82 D that weighs 3.1 grams.