• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help with a grade? 1880/79-S DMPL

6 posts in this topic

I have the opportunity to bid on this beautiful 1880/79-S, looks DMPL to me, that I think is 65-66 but would really appreciate other opinions from the group experts.  Help me out and give me you best opinion as grade determines price I am willing to pay. Looks like a beauty to me and I would love to have it but want to pay a fair price, not over pay.

Img1.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Same story as the other one. Definitely not 66. Could be 64-65. 

Do you have the opportunity to view these coins in hand before bidding? Try snapping some basic phone camera shots - even those would be more useful than these distorted images. 

I would not pay big bucks for uncertified coins, especially when your bids are based on juiced up pictures like the ones you are posting. I would also caution you that crooks have developed ways to artificially create a cameo look on coins like this. You are treading into a very specialized area of Morgan Dollar collecting that carries great risks if you make mistakes.

You need to look at the coins that interest you IN PERSON BEFORE you bid on them. You need some expertise in this area. I would strongly urge you to go the certified coin route. People don't sell off coins like this cheap unless, they are stupid, OR they are looking to hook you, which is more likely.