• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why A Male Hobby?

14 posts in this topic

Watched the Ian Russell interview with Larry King, wherein Ian estimated that 98% of coin collectors were male. This seems a bit high to me perhaps because of the many prominent women who have been and are involved in the hobby. Got me to thinking though - why is this hobby so overtly male-dominated?

I would think there would be more women listed in the percentage if  shoes and purses would fall into the collecting categories and recognized as hobbies. lol  Nothing demeaning, I know my wife would fall into those hobbies. 

19 minutes ago, bsshog40 said:

I would think there would be more women listed in the percentage if  shoes and purses would fall into the collecting categories and recognized as hobbies. lol  Nothing demeaning, I know my wife would fall into those hobbies. 

Ditto here, add jewelry.

1 hour ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

Collecting in general, not just coins, generally tends to be a male-dominated hobby. 

http://www.decanter.com/features/women-collectors-247126/

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/28/opinion/sunday/the-art-of-the-hunt.html

Hunting and competition - seems reasonable, maybe more so the hunting aspect.

It was the hobby of kings. for much of history it required money an leisure to pursue.  For the most part until the middle of the twentieth century women did not work outside the home and the man was the primary income source.  Even when the wife worked, traditionally the money went to the household accounts and the husband would dole out an allowance to the wife for domestic needs.  The man kept control of the finances.  The woman would not have that much access to coins, and those she had she needed to use.  Men would be more likely to have the access to the money and the leisure time needed to form a collection, and it would be more likely to be an activity passed from father to son than father to daughter.  Since women have become more of a force in the workplace I believe the number of collectors has risen but the growth has been slow.

8 hours ago, Conder101 said:

It was the hobby of kings. for much of history it required money an leisure to pursue.  For the most part until the middle of the twentieth century women did not work outside the home and the man was the primary income source.  Even when the wife worked, traditionally the money went to the household accounts and the husband would dole out an allowance to the wife for domestic needs.  The man kept control of the finances.  The woman would not have that much access to coins, and those she had she needed to use.  Men would be more likely to have the access to the money and the leisure time needed to form a collection, and it would be more likely to be an activity passed from father to son than father to daughter.  Since women have become more of a force in the workplace I believe the number of collectors has risen but the growth has been slow.

A logical explanation from a historical perspective.

In numerous posts, I have explained it is cultural.  Yours is one explanation for it.

11 hours ago, Conder101 said:

I believe this explains why the vast majority of geezer collectors, like myself, are men. I have noticed that a lot of the younger attendees at the summer seminars are young women, so the demographics may be changing.  Since we tend to follow the behavior and beliefs of our parents, it will take time to balance out. 

11 hours ago, mumu said:

Coins = money

Collecting is the same as  saving abstractly speaking.

Women like to spend it not save it.

Good way to find out if any women participate in this forum.