• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help Identifying Ancient Coin

5 posts in this topic

Not sure if this is authentic or not but if it is there is obviously a lot of corrosion. Can anyone help identifying this coin from these pictures? This is not my coin, just someone locally who is asking for help figuring out what it is. 

Second question is would it be safe to tell her to give it an acetone bath to help clean up some of that corrosion?

Reverse Ancient.JPG

Obverse Ancient.JPG

I can't make out enough of the obverse legend to help, though it's comparatively uncommon for a Roman coin to have busts on both sides. From what I can see, I would begin my search in the Greek Imperial coins, because the obverse legend has a very clear K, which is a Greek letter but not a Latin--yet the coin overall is Imperial style, as indeed many Greek Imperial designs were.

I don't think acetone would get that crud off, but I don't think you could make the coin worse by trying acetone.