• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

500 kurush

7 posts in this topic

Hello and welcome!

As far as your question, it's not possible to give an accurate value of a coin from just a written description like that.  One would actually have to see the coin in question in order to grade it and grade is a huge factor in determining the value of any coin.  Photos would definitely help!  There are also 5 different 1327/3 500 Kurush coins, and the value varies greatly, so once again this is impossible to determine without photos.  As for gold value alone, there is $1,343.58 worth of gold in any 500 Kurush, so your coin is worth at least that but it could be worth much more.

If you post photos, I can try to tell you more!

Best Regards

~Tom

Hello again Theodore,

The pictures are a great help! Thanks for those.  It looks like you have the standard circulation issue 1327/3 500 Kurush and I'd say it looks Mint State from the pics, though it can be difficult to pin down an exact grade from photos.  The weight is correct as well, so we seem good there as far as authenticity goes.  Price guides for this type only go up to XF grade, which it's listed at $1450 in XF.  I'd say that if you were to find the right collector buyer for this coin, which can be tough as there are very few collectors of Ottoman gold by date out there, you could probably get around $1600 to $1700 out of it but that could take awhile.  A dealer would offer you less because they need to make a profit.  Also, if you're thinking of selling this piece sometime in the future, I'd consider sending it to NGC for grading.  There are many deceptive counterfeits of Ottoman gold coins out there that are actually made of gold of nearly the correct alloy (I got bitten on one of those about 5 years ago!), and your coin has a value to make that worth doing.  The NGC guarantee on this would set any potential buyers at ease and would make your coin much more liquid.

I hope that this is helpful to you!

Best Regards

~Tom

Hi again Theodore,

While I know a lot about Ottoman coinage, I know very little about British coinage and pretty much nothing about British gold coins.  So I won't be able to help you with this one the same way because I do not know how to grade these or how to determine authenticity.  However, there are members here who do know British coins well so I will leave this one to their expert opinions.  I just don't want to give you any incorrect information.

Best Regards

~Tom