• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1887 dollar coin.

14 posts in this topic

First blush says to me that the coin is circulated and may have been cleaned. Then I look a the date, which seems odd, and I get concerned about the possibility of it being a Chinese counterfeit. The date looks to be too high above the surface and odd when compared to the rest of the coin.

You should include pictures of the reverse. There are a few major varieties from the Philadelphia Mint (no mint mark) that interest collectors. These coins were also made at the Carson City and San Francisco branch mints. Those would be indicated by a small "CC" or "S" below the wreath on the reverse.

If the coin is not a Carson City piece, it is not overly valuable as a collectors' item, if it is genuine. You are looking at less than $20.

I am sorry to bring in the counterfeit issue, but it has become a major issue with circulated Morgan Dollars like this piece. The Chinese have flooded the market with them.

Hello bill i put the backside if the coin on now. Its the real deal it looks like it is the double feather and 7 wings on it. And weights rt. It came from my grandfather's belt Buckle that was turquoise its in really good shape . my brother took it out of the buckle i found out..

If the coin was once in a belt buckle it has probably been ruined as an item of interest to coin collectors. Also it has obvious wear and damage. At best it's worth about $20 for its silver content.

Thanks for the info .but i disagree. Yes it does have alittle wear but you can see everything clearly on it. I have seen others that they are asking 250.00 for ones you can barely see. Ill let you know after i send it off to be graded.but thank you again.

I'm not sure what coins you saw with asking prices of $250, but they were either different dates and/or varieties, and/or in better condition or simply priced much too high. 

The grading of yours would cost more than the coin is worth. Please wait and obtain additional opinions before you spend your money to have it graded.

An 1887 Morgan, just making uncirculated grade of ms60 is only worth $50 going by NGC's price guide. Yours doesn't look circulated. Most of these morgans in belt buckles I know were mounted using screws in the back so I presume theres no glue or contaminants on the coin. There is usually wear on these at least on the Obverse. Your pics are fairly small but even though you say it looks flawless, there are still details of the coin that need to be there to be considered Uncirculated. I don't see uncirculated details from the pics you have provided. To me, it would be a $20-30 coin. 

I wouldn't worry too much about the poster wasting the money on submitting this coin. When someone appears to be this 'in the dark', they're hardly capable of sending a coin out for authentication and grading.  

9 hours ago, Ws6ta said:

Thanks for the info .but i disagree. Yes it does have alittle wear but you can see everything clearly on it. I have seen others that they are asking 250.00 for ones you can barely see. Ill let you know after i send it off to be graded.but thank you again.

Cleaned AU, removed from mount 1878 7TF Morgan dollar is worth about $30 unless it is a rare die marriage.  If you disagree, that's your prerogative, but that doesn't mean you're any more correct in your assessment of its value.

On 12/15/2017 at 1:04 AM, Ws6ta said:

Ws6ta:

Your message asked for input from experienced coin collectors -- several have responded with accurate, realistic comments. Unless you happen to be a "secret expert" it is recommended that you accept the views of people who know far more about coins than you.

As for others asking $250, it is the owner's prerogative to ask whatever amount they wish. It is also up to any potential buyer to determine what amount they will pay. If you are sincere about knowing the truth concerning your 1878 Morgan dollar, check out completed sales on ebay for "EF" 1878 dollars.

On 12/15/2017 at 7:36 AM, MarkFeld said:

The thread title says "1887", but the coin is an 1878.

Duh! I was trying to zoom in on details and possible mm, and didnt even pay attention to the actual date. lol

On 12/15/2017 at 6:02 AM, thebeav said:

I wouldn't worry too much about the poster wasting the money on submitting this coin. When someone appears to be this 'in the dark', they're hardly capable of sending a coin out for authentication and grading.  

I am sure im in the dark beav. But with the name the beav. I believe you are the one in the dark.