NGC VF details to PCGS XF40

7 posts in this topic

Nutmeg Coin   
  • 3,274 posts

This coin was in one of the early pre-slab Anacs holders as EF40:    TWpS8Cf.jpghttps://imgur.com/sfuXWFG

NGC called it VF details, improperly cleaned.  The other major service called it XF40.  Is this a reasonable difference of opinion, or an example of one company being conservative and the other less so?

numisport   
  • 476 posts

Looks original to me and possibly 45. NGC might look closer to see if the skin is original. Just another 93 to PCGS. I saw the reverse but cant tell is it a Philly ?

WoodenJefferson   
  • 24,688 posts

As a semi-key coin in the series, one grading service might be hard on a grade due to any questionable attributes that might or might not have occurred to the coin. They do not want to put a pig in a silk poke, especially when it comes to a guarantee or as status quo for a top tier grading company. In other words, it was not without question, so they passed with a details grade. Nothing wrong with that, so the coin was shopped around until it got into plastic with a grade. Submitters won along with big bucks $$$

Nutmeg Coin   
  • 3,274 posts

Actually the dealer bought it in one of those early Anacs flips graded XF40; if NGC allowed crossovers they would have seen that.  

I wonder how many submitters got a problem VF grade with a market acceptable XF or dozens of other stigmatizing possibilities?  Look up the pricing of XF on that key date coin vs. problem VF!  With most of their money being made with foreign and modern coins it seems they are getting ridiculously cautious with good coins.