• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Incorrect/Inconsistent Label Text After Dropping KM#s

3 posts in this topic

NGC used to use the KM# to document the type on the label (where applicable), which was both accurate and easy to understand. I understand the desire to use descriptions that aren't tied to a particular catalog, however, since NGC has gotten away from using the KM#, many world coins have had to adopt "flavor text" on the labels to describe the types instead. Sometimes this has worked well, but many coins have ended up with type descriptions that are:

• Just plain incorrect. Whereas the KM# is just a catalog number and can't really be incorrect, the same cannot be said of the accuracy of the text descriptions for world coins in Krause. Some instances of incorrect type descriptions are unfortunately from NGC adopting incorrect text descriptions from Krause.
  • Technically correct, but inconsistently applied. For example when one or two types in a series of coins are inexplicably using different type descriptions than the rest of the coins in the same series.
  • Not incorrect per se, but do not match with how collectors actually refer to the type. This is when there is already an established and accepted way to describe the type, but NGC has made up their own text instead. Why arbitrarily make up a name for a type that already has a name? This would be very confusing to new collectors. I believe this is due to Krause not listing a description for a type, whereas other more specialized catalogs for a particular country may consistently be using the same type description.

I have a pile of NGC graded coins that have disappointing newer labels with the problems as described above, that I would like to send in to get corrected. I'm not sure how to go about it since the errors on the labels are from how NGC has chosen to identify the types after getting away from the KM numbers. I also have raw coins that I haven't been sending in because I know if I sent them in they would get incorrect labels (I've seen other graded examples since the change from KM#s and they are incorrect). What I'd like to do is to be able to get NGC to correct these labels in the NGC catalog, so that if I send coins in for grading or label correction, the new labels would be fixed across the board.

Thanks for your help.

• Administrator

Thank you for providing us with this feedback. Can you please email me a chart showing the NGC Catalog format (with cert numbers of his coins, where applicable) and your desired description. We can assess if these changes should be made. We have a coin catalog with hundreds of thousands of entries and want it to be as accurate and accessible as possible. Please send this to my email address below. Thank you

matt@ngccoin.com

On 10/17/2017 at 1:25 PM, Matt G said:

Thank you for providing us with this feedback. Can you please email me a chart showing the NGC Catalog format (with cert numbers of his coins, where applicable) and your desired description. We can assess if these changes should be made. We have a coin catalog with hundreds of thousands of entries and want it to be as accurate and accessible as possible. Please send this to my email address below. Thank you

matt@ngccoin.com

Thanks Matt. I started going through what I have and correlating it to the registry. I'm making a spreadsheet explaining all of the label errors I've found. This isn't a small amount of work, so I really hope these can all get fixed to make it worthwhile.