• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1958 DDO

15 posts in this topic

I do not see specifically what you may be trying to point out.  The images are a bit blurry and while the Liberty has fat lettering this is not what I would call DDO.  I am also by no means a reliable source, just offering my opinion.

8 hours ago, Rob1983 said:

IMG_20171006_172916639.thumb.jpg.98d8d89a00e90e0a9ae5af33901cb4f5.jpg0525170119a.thumb.jpg.f0fce88d97bdde6f5f2ec26df85c1ef0.jpg

As far as I know only 3 are known to exist. Can you see the difference between your coin and an authentic 1958 DDO?

1958_ddo_1_obv.JPG

And I suppose there can be only ONE DDO in any given year right Robec?

Just because it doesn't match the MAJOR DDO for that year doesn't mean that it can't be a DDO.  Although I agree with Davids in that I don't see it.  However distorted hub doubling often doesn't show separation and could be very difficult to identify in an image.

7 hours ago, Conder101 said:

And I suppose there can be only ONE DDO in any given year right Robec?

Just because it doesn't match the MAJOR DDO for that year doesn't mean that it can't be a DDO.  Although I agree with Davids in that I don't see it.  However distorted hub doubling often doesn't show separation and could be very difficult to identify in an image.

Where did I say there can only be one DDO per year?? There could be gazillions, but for this date only 3 of those gazillion are known.

My point is that the one you showed is NOT the only DDO for that year.  There is at least one other die known and there may be others.  Your post seemed to imply that since it wasn't that one that it couldn't be a DDO.

14 hours ago, Conder101 said:

My point is that the one you showed is NOT the only DDO for that year.  There is at least one other die known and there may be others.  Your post seemed to imply that since it wasn't that one that it couldn't be a DDO.

After checking Coneca, Wexler's page, Ken Potter's page, Lincoln Resourse's website, and Variety Vista's The Lincoln Cent Doubled Die Book Vol.1 - 1909-1958, there appears to be a listing for DDO-002, but there is it seems the variety is unconfirmed. So far not one sentence is written about this variety with 0 population from any of the grading companies. There are no descriptions , no photos and no proof it even exists. Until one does show up I will stand by what I wrote, so far only 3 DDO's from 1958 are known to exist. I will gladly recognize the existence of others if and when the experts authenticate one. Right now it appears a DDO-002 may even be rarer than the DDO-001.

There is one image on Coppercoins .com, but only one image of part of the coin.    Even if one wasn't known that wouldn't mean that one doesn't exist.  You can  say that his coin isn't DDO-001, or with GOOD, clear, sharp  images you could probably say that the subject coin is or is not a DDO, but without such images all you can say is that it isn't DDO-001 but that you can't tell if is any other DDO.

I just see it too often on the various forums where someone comes on with a coin of a date/mint that has a known major DDO and they ask "Is this A doubled die?" only to have it dismissed out of hand because it isn't the major one even though there ARE other DDO varieties known for the date.

Not sure which photo you saw on coppercoins.com

These are all I could find. The only one on the page that is a Philadelphia DDO is the bottom one and says it is  an 001, though it also says it is a Class 5. All others on the page are for the 1958-D.

1958DDO_coppercoins.jpg

Here's another picture maybe not so blurry. If anyone can lead me in the direction of wether to send this 1 in it would be most appreciated. Or any other guidance or direction would also be helpful thanks in advance.

afterfocus_1508285386504.jpg

It was the bottom image of the 1958 P.

Rob1983, you would need real close clear image of those areas where you are seeing the doubling similar to those shown  in the post above your last one.

I also cannot make anything out from the images and will need clear shots to give an opinion. It should also be noted that the lettering becomes distorted on these as they begin to circulate.

On 10/15/2017 at 10:50 AM, Rob1983 said:

IMG_20171006_172916639.thumb.jpg.98d8d89a00e90e0a9ae5af33901cb4f5.jpg0525170119a.thumb.jpg.f0fce88d97bdde6f5f2ec26df85c1ef0.jpg

Yesterday I found a 1958 Lincoln and actually it looks like yours. Go to pcgs, 1958 doubled die to search. They have an excellent picture of 1958's doubling. The date especially the 9 will be fatter than normal with a fine line in it because the serif is split.

Liberty is doubled where you can easily see there are two L's,I's,B's and so on,doubled north and south. God is doubled I think east west but the point is you can clearly see the G doubled.

As much as your 1953 has been magnified; it is very clear and you certainly would see the doubling. I tried to see doubling on my 1958 too, broke my heart because it's the first one I ever found.

But I did find a 1972 perhaps MS-63 or even MS-65 and it was doubled. Plus a 1983 MS-60 Probably not worth a lot with a doubled reverse.

I will keep looking for a doubled 1958 though.

I also found a 1969-S, Liberty was doubled east and west , there was no other doubling I could see.And I already had a heartbreak, so I realized the doubling had to be machine doubling because the 1969-S is one you can almost eyeball and see the beautiful North South doubling. That was the third 1969-S I found this week and again I will keep looking.

Don't take my word for it but do go to the pcgs, 1958 lincoln doubled die regular cent and check their pictures out.

On 10/17/2017 at 8:15 PM, Rob1983 said:

Here's another picture maybe not so blurry. If anyone can lead me in the direction of wether to send this 1 in it would be most appreciated. Or any other guidance or direction would also be helpful thanks in advance.

afterfocus_1508285386504.jpg

This is an illustration of a 1958 with beautiful doubling!