• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gould 1977 “private pattern” research – update.

3 posts in this topic

Research into the “private patterns” made by Gould, Inc. in 1977 is moving forward at a good pace. The discovery of several previously unidentified compositions, and multiple obverse and reverse design varieties will necessitate revision of existing reference numbering. Below, is a sample data table entry for a 100% copper piece made from powdered metal by compression and sintering.

Pages from Article variety table v01.jpg

Gould also made “private patterns” in compressed and sintered titanium, nickel and other metals. These demonstrate different manufacturing technologies that Gould was trying to sell to the U.S. Mint. Use of powdered metals for coinage was proposed as early as the 1930s, and was given very minor consideration by the Mint in the early 1960s.

Anyone who has Gould pieces is encouraged to contact me via PM. I’m looking for as many varieties/compositions as possible, and most varieties are presently unknown to collectors. For example, the same Pollock number actually covers multiple varieties, so please do not assume that all “P-5445” pieces are the same.  :)

Roger I enjoyed your WWll trial and pattern works but it is quite deep and requires more than one read. I do have interest in modern patterns for educational purposes as they are too rare to be collectable. I look forward to seeing some new work on these.

The final article will cover Inco and Gould pieces even though they relate to different purposes. These are the two largest groups of "private patterns" available to collectors.