• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1903-S $20 Gold Liberty

7 posts in this topic

I'm a newb and I recently acquired this 1903-S $20 Gold Liberty at just a small amount over spot gold price.  My question is, as you may have guessed, is it worth getting graded?  From looking at various price guides, it looks like the value difference between average circulated on up through wither MS62 or MS63 is rather small with only significant increases at high grades.  I'm bad a grading Morgan's (my main focus) and even worse at grading gold :grin:, so all input is welcome.  This is also my first attempt at photographing gold coins, so I hope they show what you knowledgeable people are looking for.

Thanks in advance,

Big Jim

(Obverse uploaded, but reverse failed.  Will try a follow on message)

1903S Obverse.png

There appears to be some wear on the obverse, which would make this an AU coin. You paid a fair price for it (it isn't worth much more than spot), but it is definitely not worth getting graded. The number of marks would preclude a high grade even if it were uncirculated. 

Thanks for the quick reply.  By the way, I just ordered your book, so hopefully I will get educated :grin:.  Is there anyway you can point me to what areas you are seeing on the obverse as showing wear?  I don't even know the high points on this coin to be looking at.  The many marks are clear to me, but want to learn where to look for circulation wear.

I am looking at the cheek, point of the bust, and the curl of hair over her ear. Especially on the cheek, what I'm seeing is a different color and a bit of flatness. If you rotate the coin and look at the luster, it will not flow over these high points - they look a bit duller from the wear. 

Definitely not much of a numismatic premium in a low end AU $20 Lib..  Even as an MS62 it would not be worth much of a premium.

For coin research I would check out PCGS coinfacts, or just look at comparables on the Heritage Auction results to compare apples with apples.