• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage Auction

12 posts in this topic

Some very nice coins auctioned at Hertiage the past two days. Noteworthy sovereigns included:

1962 SY, 1838 and the most impressive, the 1879 in AU55. 

Unfortunaitley, I lost all of them. The 1879 went for over 15K with buyers fee.

anyone lucky?

Define lucky :D.  I bought a duplicate I don't need, just because it was pretty.  Kind of a waste of money but oh well.  It was Albanian.  When I croak I think some museum is going to wonder what the heck to do with the Albanian coin set donation.  No one in my family will want them and the other three Albanian coin collectors won't need/want them.

I was on the phone with relatives for the British section, of most interest to me. 

I missed a 1772 halfpenny I was really interested in, and one or two others went for high prices. so other than the missed 1772, nothing lost.

I was tracking a number of coins but prices were generally a bit too 'robust' for me. I did pick up one coin which is an upgrade - 63 to 65 - and at a price which I thought was reasonable.

I have also made 'raw' purchases at London Coins and DNW as well as from a couple of dealers so we will see how I get on with the grading.

As a general comment, quality seems to be commanding premium prices and that is true of Heritage and the UK auctions. As collectors we will need to adjust our price expectations to that reality.

I saw that Heritage has opened an office in the UK now.  I wonder how that will affect the buyers fees (typically higher in Europe), and what it might mean about taxes (Europe has a 15% VAT tax on top of the sale price/bidder fee.)

Wow, I like that result on the '79 sov. I know one in PCGS53 that went for about 1100 - but that was some 10 years ago....I meant to bid on one of the minors, but had a somewhat decent one so not that big a deal

Congratulations to the winners!

I managed to pick up a couple of pieces during the Internet portion of the auction. The most important to me was a 1902 Low Tide Halfpenny , graded 64 but had 65 surfaces. It completes a type set of Edward VII British currency pieces in silver and bronze. I hadn't even seen one before in good condition.

Also a 1902 half sovereign in 65, to add to a half sovereign type collection. I only have the George IV types and Victoria Young Head type to go.

17 hours ago, rmw said:

I managed to pick up a couple of pieces during the Internet portion of the auction. The most important to me was a 1902 Low Tide Halfpenny , graded 64 but had 65 surfaces. It completes a type set of Edward VII British currency pieces in silver and bronze. I hadn't even seen one before in good condition.

Also a 1902 half sovereign in 65, to add to a half sovereign type collection. I only have the George IV types and Victoria Young Head type to go.

I was the under-bidder on that coin but, as it was not central to my collection, I had put a cap on what I was willing to spend.