• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will newly submitted UK 2017 strike-on-the-day 200th anniversary sovereign BU strikes have grades of MS instead of PF?

2 posts in this topic

This is a mess created by the Royal Mint because they initially issued COAs stating the plain edge BU coins were proofs.   They recognized the error part way through the shipping process and sent letters and correct COAs  to customers to whom they had already shipped coins.  They shipped the remaining coins, including mine, with COAs stating the coins are BU.  NGC has called these coins plain edge proofs in the census report and presumably on holder labels.  I'm guessing this decision was based in part on the original, erroneous COA as well as the appearance of the coins.

So, if I send my coin for grading, will the holder state that it is a MS coin as stated on the COA or will it state that it is a PF coin?

• Administrator

Thank you for your question. Based on information from the mint and the opinion of the graders we decided to designate these as proof coins. The strike differences are too minor for us to designate as MS and PF.