• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Victoria Silver and Copper Type Set

6 posts in this topic

New to the NGC boards. Recently decided to collect on the dark side specifically Great Britain Victoria silver and copper type coin set. Still trying to decide on a budget but would like to try to collect AU/MS. I want to ask what reference materials would be best to begin looking into. Also would any one  recommend any USA or UK dealers to start with.

Thank you for the help,

Bob

Happy Hunting and welcome. For prices, I'd look at recent the Heritage or Ebay auction results. For reference books, I like the following books to start.  Learn to grade the coins properly and read before buying. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

On your dealer question, to me it would depend upon whether you prefer to view the coins in person first before you buy them and the importance of a return privilege.  Also, you may need to set your budget first before you select one. 

As examples, on the high end, CRO, Aspen Park and Atlas Numismatics are well known but offer coins above most collector budgets.  I have only seen higher end graded coins on their sites and since US collectors have inflated the price level substantially through the application of US practices, there is a wide price variance between some UNC grades and with AU, depending upon the coin.

Otherwise, finding nice type coins certainly shouldn't be a problem and you should have an ample selection to choose from.  I believe most collectors can find what they want from eBay, Heritage and probably Great Collections.

This is also a decent book - gives you an idea of prices - only a guide.  You can receive it electronically and save a few dollars.

image.jpg

For reference works, I would suggest:

English Silver Coinage: Since 1649. 6th edition ("ESC"): Bull.

and

British Silver Coins Since 1816: Davies.

For dealers, there are a number of highly reputable ones in the UK. However, for the most part, they will have 'raw' and not 'certified' coins. I have personally bought from RP Coins and AMR Coins. In the USA, you are more limited. However, Atlas has some very nice, if expensive, coins.

Other sources: auction houses Heritage (USA), DNW and London Coins(UK) often have nice Victorian coins.