• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bent bust quarter

6 posts in this topic

Depends on the degree and where it is bent. If it is bent just a little in the middle, there has been some success with putting the bent coin between to leather strips and hydraulically adding a few tons of pressure...I would never attempt this with a rare coin though.

7 minutes ago, WoodenJefferson said:

Depends on the degree and where it is bent. If it is bent just a little in the middle, there has been some success with putting the bent coin between to leather strips and hydraulically adding a few tons of pressure...I would never attempt this with a rare coin though.

there is that. and...

Absolutely impossible to tell how bent that piece is, and if it can be fixed. 

The prognosis for the coin depends on how badly it is bent, and when it was bent. If it is just a little bent, there are ways to straighten it. That coin isn't terribly rare, so if it is a minor bend you may be able to fix it. A more major bend will result in a crease in the coin, and trying to straighten a very old coin may actually result in it breaking. 

If the bend is old, the other problem may be that the wear pattern on the coin is irregular (the bend made an artificial high point that will wear quite rapidly). I don't see this on your coin, I'm merely adding it for information. 

I once had a coin come "body bagged' for being bent.  It was with my first submission in 2005 before "details" grading.  I then sent it to NCS so that it could at least be authenticated and it came back in a straight graded holder, which is where I believe it should be. 

I don't know what this coin is worth but you could try cracking it out and resubmitting it.  I wouldn't know how to attempt to "unbend" a coin myself and wouldn't have done it with the coin I mentioned either because it is too hard to find, even though worth a nominal amount by US standards.