• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this 1877-S Trade Dollar Cleaned?

4 posts in this topic

I sent my 1877-S trade dollar in for grading before "details grading" was offered and it came back in a body bag labeled "Rev Damage". I sent it in for grading around 2011 and it came back "AU Details Improperly Cleaned" with no mention of reverse damage. I see the marks that could be considered reverse damage but I don't see the cleaning. The coin also has (in my opinion) nice toning.  

I'm sending some other coins in for grading and was wondering whether I should send it in for a regrade? I'm hoping it either grades numerically or comes back with "Rev Damage" instead of "cleaning".

I'm looking for opinions as to whether it is cleaned and/ or worth resubmitting.

Thanks for the help!

Tom

DSC01260.JPG

DSC01279.JPG

DSC01280.JPG

DSC01281.JPG

DSC01285.JPG

DSC01287.JPG

DSC01289.JPG

DSC01290.JPG

DSC01291.JPG

Yes, the obverse especially looks to have been cleaned. It is hard to tell exactly what was done to it, but the texture of the surfaces, and the color, look off. This is most noticeable in your second picture. 

The reverse damage is unappealing, but it is borderline whether it is bad enough to bodybag it for damage. The rim nicks obviously don't help either. 

This coin is still quite desirable to the right person, but unfortunately it will have to be at a discount. AU details is the right grade for it, in my opinion. 

I don't see really bad cleaning per your photos. If the coin really looks like the photos, I'd be more concerned about the edge issues on both sides and the significant marks on the reverse. In short, if you somehow got beyound the cleaning issues, those types of post mint damage could leave the coin with a "details grade" instead.