• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They said it was not possible to find one in circulation

22 posts in this topic

Hello to all, 

I am new to this site and coin collecting as well.  I have a great eye and obsession for finding great treasures.  Having the drive not to quit and stay focused is what I use to accomplish my goals.  Well,  yesterday I was blessed with one of the most RARE finds I ever found.  This might be bigger than I can imagine.  So, I saw the U.S Quarter stamped on a Canadian Quarter that sold for $35,000 which was amazing.  It was is my mind the whole day.  Going to clock out for lunch at work knowing I had no money to eat lunch I went to my office.  Did some more looking at the Quarters.   Something told me to check my pocket change even though I really only collector rare and old pennies.  So, I check my pockets and pulled out ONE quarter out of my pocket.  Just as crazy as life is, it was an 1970 quarter that looked to be made of silver but had a different luster than the other quarters I have seen.  I spent my whole lunch break analyzing it as if it was saying, "Look Deeper".  So I did.  Come to find out I am about 99.5 % sure I just found the ONE U.S quarter stamped on a Canadian quarter minted in Denver and in circulation in great shape.  Joined here to get in touch with people who specialize in quarters.  I plan on getting it graded, but ironically I do not have the upgrade fee money yet.  I have pictures if anyone can at least tell me if you see the same thing I do.  It would be so great to talk to people into the same thing I am .   THIS IS SO REAL I AM EVEN IN SHOCK.   Hope to have some serious collectors write and share some knowledge on this find.

Thank You

Aaron S

Edited by ASavageCollector
Needed more content

that year had quite a few quarters struck on US nickel planchets - is it clad with a copper core? does it stick to a magnet?

2 hours ago, PocketArt said:

Interesting story with find; but, it's incomplete without pictures.  Need pictures!

There were images, which have since been removed. They led me to believe that the original poster would be deeply disappointed with the outcome.

1 hour ago, allmine said:

it has a Copper core

And?  Weren't Canadian quarters also struck on clad planchets?  If the pieces are both clad, how does that allow us to distinguish anything?  I do not know a lot about this putative Canadian overstrike error.

Edited by coinman_23885

Years Mass Diameter/Shape Composition[2]
2000–present 4.40 g 23.88 mm 94.0% steel (unspecified alloy), 3.8% copper, 2.2% nickel plating
1968–1999 5.05 g 23.88 mm 99.9% nickel
1967-1968 5.83 g 23.88 mm 50% silver, 50% copper
1953–1967 5.83 g 23.88 mm 80% silver, 20% copper
1920–1952 5.83 g 23.62 mm 80% silver, 20% copper
1910–1919 5.83 g 23.62 mm 92.5% silver, 7.5% copper
1908–1910 5.81 g 23.62 mm 92.5% silver, 7.5% copper

I believe the OP thought one of these were found in change?

http://www.coinweek.com/coins/unique-unusual/modern-us-coins-1970-washington-quarter-gets-15-minutes-fame/

However; this was a proof quarter, overstruck on a silver Canadian quarter- OP's coin was struck at the Denver mint, and I believe that's why allmine indicated coin has copper core.

1 hour ago, PocketArt said:

I believe the OP thought one of these were found in change?

http://www.coinweek.com/coins/unique-unusual/modern-us-coins-1970-washington-quarter-gets-15-minutes-fame/

However; this was a proof quarter, overstruck on a silver Canadian quarter- OP's coin was struck at the Denver mint, and I believe that's why allmine indicated coin has copper core.

you can see it... he's posted elsewhere

2 hours ago, coinman_23885 said:

Can someone also clarify why a Canadian  quarter would be in a U.S. Mint coining press?

For the same reason a nail would be: because some wisecracker put it there to make a supposed error and sell it for a lot of money. 

2 hours ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

For the same reason a nail would be: because some wisecracker put it there to make a supposed error and sell it for a lot of money. 

Why wouldn't the federal government seize these if there is no real chance these were accidents?

11 hours ago, coinman_23885 said:

Why wouldn't the federal government seize these if there is no real chance these were accidents?

they DID (for Proof coinage, anyway). Ask QDB how many error Proof coins were confiscated before  auction..
the reasoning was that the coins could not have left the Mint in Proof Sets, because they couldn't fin into the holes...

Edited by allmine

I am aware this thread is almost 4 years old.

It just happens to epitomize the "agony of defeat."

My sincerest condolences.