• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Something you don't see everyday. Prooflike Liberty Nickels.

18 posts in this topic

Very interesting. You have a pretty nice set - some definitely cool coins there.

I see you've taken a similar approach to my set, seen here: https://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/SetListing.aspx?PeopleSetID=98228&Ranking=all

Looks like some pretty strong cameo contrast on your 1883.

Here is my no-cents 1883, graded NGC 65PL: 

JPA880 obverse.jpg

JPA880 reverse2.jpg

20 hours ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

Very interesting. You have a pretty nice set - some definitely cool coins there.

I see you've taken a similar approach to my set, seen here: https://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/SetListing.aspx?PeopleSetID=98228&Ranking=all

Looks like some pretty strong cameo contrast on your 1883.

Here is my no-cents 1883, graded NGC 65PL: 

JPA880 obverse.jpg

JPA880 reverse2.jpg

Hi Physics,

I definitely know your set very well. I check it at least monthly to see if you added any new coins. Your collection was the inspiration for me to try a Prooflike type set.  I love that '71 shield nickel. I was the underbidder on that one, but had to reserve myself because I had college tuition due (now had I seen your photos, I think would have worried about tuition later).

My 1883 is definitely one of my favorites. I'm sure at some point of it's life it was sold as a PF Cam. Based off the inscription of your 1883, I have a feeling that our coins were probably "brothers".

Haha, well, I don't buy coins monthly! 

The problem that I'm running into with my set is that the coins either don't exist for the series I still need, or they are quite expensive. I'm having to slow down my buying to try and afford the next series. 

@physics-fan3.14 I know what you mean. They just don't exist for some series, but that makes the hunt much more fun(and never ending).I know DLRC has a bust half that I need, but no way in hell am I going to spend 10K for it.

I'm definitely going down the more budget friendly route. As you can see I have quite a few 61's, 62's & 63's.

Yeah, I saw you have generally lower grades than me (although your coins are still attractive). I made the decision at the start of my collection that I wanted to stick to 64 at least, but I'd go to 63 if necessary. I realize this means my budget will be stretched. These are still attractive coins at 62, but in the lower grades I found that the marks in the fields started to become distracting from the prooflike qualities. It is a compromise, I realize. But I decided it was important to me. 

While I'm waiting for the US types, I've been quietly accumulating some foreign stuff as well.

Those are some very nice Liberty nickels.  I also enjoyed viewing your PL set Amazon.  I'm also working on examples of PL's from various U.S. series.  These coins are quite stunning in series you wouldn't expect to see a PL finish.    

Both you and physics have awesome sets!

8 hours ago, PocketArt said:

Those are some very nice Liberty nickels.  I also enjoyed viewing your PL set Amazon.  I'm also working on examples of PL's from various U.S. series.  These coins are quite stunning in series you wouldn't expect to see a PL finish.    

Both you and physics have awesome sets!

I know that you've joined the PL club, and I've seen a few of your purchases, but I don't know that I've seen all of your stuff. Do you have a Registry set or a display somewhere else so that we can drool over your PLs? 

Shoot...my PL collection is just spittle in regards to what you, and Amazon would consider as drool worthy.  I need a bit of time to build my PL collection, in order to display with a bit of confidence to be worthy of any kind of praiseworthy awesomeness.  Heck physics; I started collecting PL last year so I'm behind the curve...Bambi in forest at this point.  ;)   

On 6/19/2017 at 6:39 PM, PocketArt said:

Shoot...my PL collection is just spittle in regards to what you, and Amazon would consider as drool worthy.  I need a bit of time to build my PL collection, in order to display with a bit of confidence to be worthy of any kind of praiseworthy awesomeness.  Heck physics; I started collecting PL last year so I'm behind the curve...Bambi in forest at this point.  ;)   

Come on, post them. The more prooflike propaganda we can spread, the better. :)

If you don't want to post them, at least tell us what kinds you have. Collecting PLs is definitely more of a long process, since they don't pop up too often.

On 6/19/2017 at 4:25 PM, physics-fan3.14 said:

I know that you've joined the PL club, and I've seen a few of your purchases, but I don't know that I've seen all of your stuff. Do you have a Registry set or a display somewhere else so that we can drool over your PLs? 

So there's, what? Half a dozen of us now? lol

1 hour ago, Amazon said:

So there's, what? Half a dozen of us now? lol

There are about a half dozen (maybe a couple more) that post on the boards I frequent (here and CoinTalk). 

However, based on the prices I have to pay for some of these coins, there are either a lot more of us in the shadows, or some of us (not me) have really deep pockets. 

And realistically, the more we publicize them and convince people of how cool these things are, the more we will have to compete and pay higher prices. In retrospect, I should have kept the whole thing my little secret. Oh well, I guess I love to share awesome coins. 

4 hours ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

And realistically, the more we publicize them and convince people of how cool these things are, the more we will have to compete and pay higher prices. In retrospect, I should have kept the whole thing my little secret. Oh well, I guess I love to share awesome coins. 

Hmmm...well, er, I for one only buy PL coins so I can take these hideous and truly awful coins off the market. I mean, c'mon, business strikes that want to be proof? You can't be both. They are so horrible that I store them in my toilet tank until I find the time to throw them into the incinerator at the local dump. Yup. Highly recommend everyone to avoid these terrible coins(and if you have any please send them my way for proper disposal).

On 6/14/2017 at 4:59 PM, physics-fan3.14 said:

Haha, well, I don't buy coins monthly! 

The problem that I'm running into with my set is that the coins either don't exist for the series I still need, or they are quite expensive. I'm having to slow down my buying to try and afford the next series. 

I'm trying to build an 1882 MS set So far I have an MS64 CC, MS63 O, and a MS63 P -all morgans- with an MS63 $5 Gold on the way. If I plan to do all the mint marks of every denomination, like I am doing with the morgans, I'm simply screwed; it is going to be hard and EXTREMELY expensive to get a nickel, dime, quarter and a penny from then, maybe even a paper dollar? Unlikely, but Im hopeful.

Oh and to add to the discussion other than my ramblings, the only coin I have that's is anywhere near the quality is an MS69 Ultra Cameo 1780 Austrian Taler RESTRIKE. Could you Imagine the cost to build an 1882 PL type set? You could probably feed Africa, or send like four kids to Harvard for that price.

On 6/21/2017 at 7:30 PM, Amazon said:

Come on, post them. The more prooflike propaganda we can spread, the better. :)

If you don't want to post them, at least tell us what kinds you have. Collecting PLs is definitely more of a long process, since they don't pop up too often.

Okay, shhhhh.  Here is a bit of propaganda...no need to create a scarcity.  :ph34r:

Newp IKE

031.JPG.c3fcbe4bff12f57d59a73fae48cf9211.JPG

032.JPG.94c2c8fddfbf30d8beed791edac040c4.JPG

042.JPG.5ab2386b3e1fa91f9118cfda77e4aedc.JPG

20 hours ago, rlol43 said:

Oh and to add to the discussion other than my ramblings, the only coin I have that's is anywhere near the quality is an MS69 Ultra Cameo 1780 Austrian Taler RESTRIKE. Could you Imagine the cost to build an 1882 PL type set? You could probably feed Africa, or send like four kids to Harvard for that price.

That would be quite a challenge, and might be impossible to complete.