• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toned coin in mint set

2 posts in this topic

Hello.

I bought this mint set because I liked the pinkish color on the copper coin.

I want to get the copper coin slabbed by NGC, but the problem is, the case is notorious for containing PVC.

I asked an opinion about this coin on NGC forum and one member said the color might be the result of copper coin reacting to PVC.

①Should I send the coin to NCS in original case? But if the pinkish color is the result of reaction with PVC, then it's not worth sending this coin to NCS because the coin is worth only 10cents without the color.

②Or should I dip the coin in acetone (to remove the possible PVC contamination)and send it to NCG ? But I'm afraid graders might consider the color as questionable once I took the coin out of original case.

What do you think is the best way to handle this coin?

10 yen mint set from 1981.jpg

10 yen no1.jpg

10 yen no2.jpg

• Administrator

Thank you for your question. I apologize for the delayed response. I would not suggest performing any cleaning on this coin as it may cause damage. When submitting coins to NGC for grading our experts will determine if conservation is needed. We will email and provide the details of which coins need conservation. At that time you can accept or decline the conservation services. Depending on what the graders determine, conservation is necessary before grading (if coin has pvc or heavy residue) and an option for others as it may simply improve the appearance.