• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rare British Columbia Gold !!

8 posts in this topic

Those are great pieces, and certainly quite scarce. Congratulations !

I have one or two of these somewhere, but they were ex-jewelry.

On 5/5/2017 at 11:27 AM, physics-fan3.14 said:

What are these? 

Coins/Money.

When and why were they made? 

1849 and 1912...to buy things with.

Answers in green.

20 hours ago, mumu said:

Answers in green.

Well, smartass, apparently you are quite wrong: These are not coins, were never intended to be money, and have very low amounts of gold. They were jewelry pieces. 

And the reason I was wondering is because the NGC slab clearly says "1849-dated" - if it was made in 1849, it would say "1849". 

Here is more information on these: http://www.calgoldcoin.com/oldhtml/canada.htm

4 hours ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

Well, smartass, apparently you are quite wrong: These are not coins, were never intended to be money, and have very low amounts of gold. They were jewelry pieces. 

And the reason I was wondering is because the NGC slab clearly says "1849-dated" - if it was made in 1849, it would say "1849". 

Here is more information on these: http://www.calgoldcoin.com/oldhtml/canada.htm

Yes, but that also means your interest in them is gone.

When did NGC start grading jewelry?

There are many similar low-fineness or native gold jewelry tokens with names of various US and Canadian mining areas on them. None were used as money and all are poorly made. They can make an interesting and difficult to see collection, provided the items are bought at reasonable prices.