• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Buffalo Nickel for the Collection

18 posts in this topic

I agree with AU (although I like it better at 58 - there's only a trace of friction). 

But hot damn, the toning on that obverse is superb. You don't see nickels like that very often. 

11 hours ago, numisport said:

Dripping luster could make a mess. Where's the rub ?

I was interpreting the discoloration on the horn and shoulder of the buffalo as rub. NGC disagreed, obviously, but they had it in hand to look at. 

Congrats on a nice coin and a good grade. 

3 hours ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

I was interpreting the discoloration on the horn and shoulder of the buffalo as rub. NGC disagreed, obviously, but they had it in hand to look at. 

Congrats on a nice coin and a good grade. 

Strike effects mostly all buffalo nickels and sure is tough to differentiate rub from weakness without coin in hand isn't it. I really thought the coin was mint state just looking at the great luster.

43 minutes ago, t-arc said:

i think this was / is in a ms65 slab purchased on flea bay from north west coin gallery

The OP stated "NGC thought it was a 64* "

On 4/21/2017 at 2:54 PM, WoodenJefferson said:

The OP stated "NGC thought it was a 64* "

Sorry for my mistake there, but another question.  How in the heck do you tell artificial toning from natural toning?  I cannot.  To me this is beautiful artificial toning and worthy of a higher grade, say 65 or maybe even 66.  If ngc slabbed this as a 64 do they sometimes

do a net downgrade on a coin that looks so nice, like this one, but which MAY be artificial?   I dunno.  I see some really great ms67 and ms68  buffaloes that got their grades based partly on monster color like this.   Say you put this Buff in an old sulpher-filled

wayte raymond album, let it sit out in the sunlight each sunny day one summer, and then it come out like this.  would this be artificial or natural toning?  Since your participated in the toning process would that make it other than original?   Confusing to me.

s-l1600.mkj76.jpg.96a2222317a0803436d82cf2fc8cb6b7.jpghere is an ngc ms65 1938d buffalo nickel that is being offered on the flea (eBay) right now for $895!!!  Does this coin merit over $800 for a color bump up in price?  I have no problem with the owner asking anything he wants to for a pcgs or ngc slabbed coin but this one seems to stretch the limits of credulity!!  See the pictures .......

s-l1600.mkj76.jpg

s-l1600.kiujy.jpg

On 4/17/2017 at 8:23 PM, erwindoc said:

After a considerable amount of time saving, I finally received this piece in the mail.  I wanted to share it here.  

1917 star obv.jpg

1917 star rev.jpg

Rainbow toner wow