• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Questions about California Fractionals

4 posts in this topic

2 questions and a bonus round: 

Question 1: Can anyone tell me what the standard reference is for California Fractional gold?

Question 2: Can anyone tell me why so many of them are PL or DPL? It seems like every auction has a ton of them. I'd like to learn more.... for obvious reasons. 

Bonus round: Post your (genuine) California Fractionals, if you have them! 

I don't collect these, but I think the standard reference is Breen-Gillio (that's what the BG numbers mean).

No idea why PL or DPL - interesting question and I'd like to know the answer too.

Well, it kind of matters what your definition of reference is. Does that refer to a 'catalog number', a rarity.....a price ?

I have, what I believe are all the references. I use them all.  I suppose the Breen-Gillio books are important as far as listing all the varieties, and having a reference number for them. 

That seems to be where most people go today.  The Doering books have become pooh-poohed over the years. I do like their photos though, and descriptions.  But that's not to say you don't want to peruse the original Lee books.  As far as tokens, and even good Cal info, you have to have a Burnie book.

As far as PL surfaces.....Yes, they do seem to exhibit that quite often. Perhaps it was because the producers were, for the most part, jewelers. That would have meant that they had easy access to polishing materials. Maybe if I were to attempt a coining die, and I was a 'polish' guy, I would have worked that die over. Maybe......

I guess if you were to have one book, it would have to be a B-G......

They are shiny because they were made for jewelry use - not circulation. Shiny was nice for jewelry. The letter below might also be of interest. [The transcription was made by one of the volunteers from December and later months.]

18960428 California fractional gold-sm.jpg