• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is Tom saying, or is he just blowing smoke?

8 posts in this topic

Starting last summer, in order to better play "Follow the Lead Picture" post, I began to try and fill in date "holes" in my run of US coinage from 1794 - 2017.  (Note, this just means, at a minimum, to try and have at least one coin from each date).  Needless to say it's still VERY much a work in progress for the earlier years.  Here's a Jefferson I picked up last summer to fill in a date hole.

So, what is Tom saying, or is he just blowing smoke?  :grin:   

The images are by Bob Campbell, and I think he did an excellent job.

bc1998S_rprJE1o4t.jpg

bc1998S_rprJE1r5t.jpg

Hemp was a major farm product. It was used for making rope. Agricultural hemp is not the same as that grown for narcotic purposes.

High Times

Thomas Jefferson: In addition to farming hemp, Jefferson was Ambassador to France during the hashish era there.  At risk of imprisonment if caught, Jefferson smuggled hemp seeds from China known for their potency to America.  However, as far as our research takes us, he never said or wrote, “Some of my finest hours have been spent sitting on my back veranda, smoking hemp and observing as far as my eye can see.”