• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Let's See Some Medals

35 posts in this topic

I believe that medals are an important part of numismatics.

The early commem series has several coin denials but, medals were approved.

Let's see your medals.

VermontComm_Combo1A.jpg

Vermont Sesquicentennial Celebration medal. Given to members of The Vermont Sesqui-Centennial Commission.

Some nice medals since my last!

(thumbsu

Forgot to share this image for my medal above:

VermontCommObv_04.jpg

VermontSesqui_Combo1.jpg

Vermont Sesquicentennial Medal. Charles Keck states: ‘I have made a medal about 2 ½ inches in diameter, on one side of which I have represented Green Mountain boy with coonskin cap in which appears a sprig of evergreen, and holding a gun in his hands, and in the background I have indicated the original American flag and the inscription, Vermont Sesqui-Centennial.

On the reverse I have a wreath of laurel with the names of the leading men inscribed on the ribbon which ties it together. In the center of this wreath is ‘Fay’s Tavern.’ On the outside off this wreath is the inscription, ‘Battle of Bennington 1777-1927,’ and fourteen stars, indicating that Vermont was the fourteenth State to enter the Union.

Nice group Larry!

LongIslandTerc_Combo1.jpg

Long Island Tercentenary Commemoration Medal, first white settlement. Gilt Copper, diameter: 3.3 cm

Obverse depicting adjoined busts of Native American, at left, and European settler, at right, with dates below "1636-1936" and surrounding legend: LONG ISLAND TERCENTENARY COMMEMORATION." Reverse depicts American eagle flanked by fasces with date above "1936;" legend: LONG ISLAND" and inscription: FIRST WHITE SETTLEMENT."

Yes, some PVC on the reverse.

ConnMedal_Combo1A_2.jpg

In November, 1934, appeared the official Commemorative Medal in bronze designed by Mr. Henry G. Kreis of Essex, and struck by the Medallic Art Company. Mr. George Dudley Seymour was chairman of the Committee which worked out the problems involved in preparing this very appropriate souvenir. Twenty-five hundred copies have been struck, of which the first two hundred were numbered and sold at advanced price.

On the obverse of the medal is shown a group of early settlers dominated by the tall figure of Thomas Hooker. On the scroll was the phrase "Connecticut 1635-1935." A somewhat modernized representation of the three vines with nine clusters of grapes of the original coat of arms of the State, together with the motto "Qui transtulit sustinet" ( he who transplanted sustains) appeared on the reverse. Besides the vines, with letters vertically placed, were the words "Religion," "Law," "Education." about the circumference was the phrase "Three Centuries of Self-Government Based on Constitutional Liberty" to express the contribution of Connecticut to orderly government and civilization.

Information about this medal from another source:

Medal Description

The medal shows, on the obverse, a group of men and women – the founders of Connecticut – dominated by the commanding figure of Thomas Hooker holding the Fundamental Orders. At his side sits his invalid wife, Susannah. These early settlers of Connecticut were God-fearing men and women, ‘sprung from Earth’s best blood,’ bred in the most advanced thought and ideals of their age. They had the strength of mind and will to achieve their ends. Men and women of this character established in Connecticut self-government which has stood for three centuries. The legend ‘1635-1935 Connecticut 300 years’ springs from the very heart of the medal – an innovation in the medallist’s (sic) art.

The reverse of the medal shows the transplanted grapevines of the State Seal, and the motto, ‘Qui transtulit sustinet’ – ‘He who brought us hither sustains us.’

Expressive of the established traditions of Connecticut, yet quite modern in technique and feeling, the medal was designed by Henry Kreis of Essex, Connecticut, as Public Works of Art Project No. 20 for New Haven. It was struck by the Medallic Art Company.

Distribution

The supply of medals is limited and already the number of sales is large. The rest will be sold to those who apply first. About two hundred are numbered in consecutive order and because of their special value are being sold in attractive boxes for $5.00 each. The others, exactly the same except that they are not numbered, are also attractively packed, and are for sale at $1.00 apiece. There will be a postage charge on orders filled by mail. If the applicant desires the medal sent by first class mail and registered the charge will fifty cents; if sent by parcel post and insured, the charge will be fifteen cents.

1801 Thomas Jefferson inaugural medal fewer than 12. Known in silver. An meat to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence, 58df4d2c6f6b0_JeffersonInauguralObv-1.thumb.JPG.2b75cf44d7b70ec6850ca120e775f9f5.JPG

6 hours ago, Rob1983 said:

1801 Thomas Jefferson inaugural medal fewer than 12. Known in silver. An meat to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence, 58df4d2c6f6b0_JeffersonInauguralObv-1.thumb.JPG.2b75cf44d7b70ec6850ca120e775f9f5.JPG

Nice One!  ^^

eBay_1935Conn_Medal_Combo.jpg

Connecticut Tercentenary Medal with Ribbon attached.

Connecticut Tercentenary 1635-1935 medal made by Pilgrim Badge, Boston – features the Charter Oak obverse and an Indian in a canoe looking up at a plane and electric towers.

Beautiful Medals shown here, thank all of you for taking the time to share! My small addition covers 2 of my numismatic loves...Varieties, and, finding NEW Discoveries, as on this 2016 Ronald & Nancy Reagan Bronze medal, from the Coin & Chronicles set...sent to John Wexler, who gave a thumbs up for his first known modern mint medal double die, and, mine too. 3 coins sent into another TPG, who labels "Discovery Piece", and, now I see NGC has a similar label, which is a nice touch for those of us who live to hunt for new discovery varieties.

Hard to photograph, I apologize for the non-pro pics, and, I see my holder has a spiderweb crack in it, and, needs to go back to Colorado for reholdering.

Happy Hunting!

rrmedal.jpg

rrrmedal.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

Some nice additions!

(thumbsu

Pilgrim_Terc_Combo.jpg

HK-13, Pilgrim Jubilee Memorial, 1870, R-5, Silver Plated.

Wisconsin_So_Called_Dollar_ComboA.jpg

Hard to find with original packaging.

1936 Wisconsin Territorial Centennial Medal.

Medal commemorates the 100th anniversary of Wisconsin as a territory. Wisconsin admitted to the Union on May 29, 1848. Legislature created Wisconsin Centennial Inc. in 1933 with $500 appropriation, was later increased. Celebration was state-wide, highlight being the presentation of the pageant, "Centennial Cavalcade of Wisconsin," in stadium of the University of Wisconsin, Madison. June 27--July 5, 1936, "witnessed by at least 75,000 spectators."

This was the official medal, sponsored and designed by the Commission with 1,500 pieces struck in Bronze and sold for $1.

Description:

Obv: Capitol building, clouds behind, at base on small ribbon 1936; smaller edifice at l; at base, on small ribbon 1836; above all, around Wisconsin Territorial Centennial; below all is prone animal (badger?) on dotted line.

Rev: Eagle in upper center panel; to l. 19 / June 27, to r.36 / July / 5; above at border Madison; below panel Official / Wisconsin / Centennial / Celebration; stars all around border.

HK-696, Very Scarce.

Tercentenay%20Medal%20Combo.jpg

1934 Maryland Tercentenary Medal. Taylor 15, 56mm, Bronze, designed by Hans Schuler (who also designed the half dollar), Sc. (MACO).

Obv: Portrait of Gov. Albert Richie with Tercentenary legend around, Maryland Shield at bottom with dates 1634 – 1934.

Rev: Scene showing Lord Calvert holding Lord Baltimore’s instructions. To right, Capt. Thomas Cornwallis and Rev. Andrew White. An Indian kneels at right.